Re: Death and Berevement

Interesting (if slightly morbid) point.

The issue is of definite interest nonetheless, if only because of the
varying industry practices on the subject.

Currently, I'm only aware of two major services who take this
eventuality into account:
* Facebook urges you to “memorialize” the deceased's page [1].
Apparently, if you can *prove* you're the next of kin, they'll let you
delete the account [2];
* MySpace lets you delete it permanently [3].

Le 26 juil. 09 à 21:39, Phil Archer a écrit :

> What I can't work out is whether this is something that might be
> part of a future standardisation track - or simply a commercial
> opportunity for someone. In which case, why the heck am I sending
> this to a public list?  ;-)

Another good call. Considering how Americans are signing up for id-
theft protection and the like, I could see a smallish industry of e-
undertakers cropping up. Something like a nominal or sub-$10 yearly
fee in exchange for a prompt removal (or advantageous e-embalming) of
your accounts.

Cheers,
Tim

[1] http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=deceased
[2] http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/090224-113022
[3] http://faq.myspace.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/369/kw/dead/r_id/100061

Tim Anglade | directeur, pôle « Turbulences » | af83
42, boulevard de Sébastopol | 75003 Paris | France
1436, Howard St | San Francisco | CA 94103 | USA
Tel : +33 1 42 72 33 32
Mob : +33 6 35 92 77 58
skype : tim_anglade
Web : www.af83.com

This email is:  [X] bloggable   [ ] ask first   [ ] private