RE: Social Network Usage Stats by Country

This subject (of social network metrics) is one which I believe is extremely
important to the industry (and to analysts who try to measure and forecast
growth and patterns).

In my opinion, it should be the topic of a section of the SWXG report.

I propose that the following questions (and our discussion arising from
them) become part of the Business topic (perhaps or perhaps not the output
of a "true" SWXG Task Force):

1. What are the appropriate metrics for a community or social network?
    A few posts back I believe it was Soren who made the same point I did
about Alexa and page views as a metric. We should explain the pros and cons
of this metric clearly.
    Is the number of minutes appropriate measure? Is the average number of
pages per visitor?
    Is the number of log-ins per day (another measure of attention)?
    Is, as suggested below, the proportion of the country's population a
relevant number?

    What about the number of active monthlies? What about the absolute
number of all IDs/user registrations (which is definitely NOT THE SAME thing
as the number of unique people!!)

    Many of the communities I work with are much more interested with their
growth rate.

2. Some user-centric metrics:
    How many friends does a person in this community usually have?  Can this
be used to define profiles of categories of users?
    How many are people with whom a regular dialog is maintained?
    How many messages are sent out (daily, monthly) by the average user on
this services?

3. What are the best (recommended) methods for capturing (in a standard and
consistent fashion) the metrics?

Christine