Re: SWXG topic 5 of today's meeting agenda and CONTINUING ACTIONs: Top Social Networking services and Matrix

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Christine Perey<cperey@perey.com> wrote:
> Hi Harry, Dan and Dan,
>
> As a matter of XG administration, and topic 5 of today's agenda Social
> Networking Matrix, I request that you check on two ACTION items which still
> appear to be open. We may have an opportunity to work on them today (or in
> the near future).
>
> The two action items (part of topic 5 of July 1 meeting agenda) which I wish
> to highlight are:
>
> + [CONTINUES] ACTION: cperey to make list of top 30 to do profiles on, to
> merge with hhalpin's list on alexa

Christine, if you want the action to be closed I'm happy to close it.
I was thinking the bit that still needs doing and discussing of what
matrix to do is the "merge". Maybe looking at Soren's list would help.

> + [CONTINUES] ACTION: karl to create the matrix to be filled

We don't have even a draft of a matrix of functionalities. Maybe that
will come out of the use-case document.

> I said, in my memo to the list when I posted the top 30 list to the wiki on
> June 9 [1] that I didn't know if the first of these actions was closed or
> continuing. Since you have not closed this Action Item, I assume that it
> still needs some work.
>
> Can someone please clarify what further is needed/expected? Is it only a
> matter of merging these two lists?
>
> If we merge, we should agree on some criteria/definitions and the purpose.

We could discuss this, yes. I'm in support of using some sort of
traffic rankings balanced geographically, but understand this might
not be appropriate for mobile social netwokrin.

> I posted, on the wiki page called "Top Social Networking Sites" [2] a number
> of comments below the Alexa list and above the list of 30 services
> contributed for this Action Item.
>
> One of the comments was to stimulate discussion about the purpose of the Top
> Social Networking list and matrix. Harry made changes to the wiki page to
> clarify Purpose. A thread on this topic began [3] but did not get much
> activity. Is everyone in agreement?
>
> There was another discussion thread which began in June on topic title "What
> is a Social Network?"
>
> An example of where we are trying to get to a definition is here [4] (but
> similarly, this topic/thread did not sustain a lot of attention/postings
> after we settled that the Web != Browser). Bonneau and Preibusch do not, in
> their matrix/list, include services whose primary purpose is content sharing
> (e..g, YouTube and Flickr). There was a mention in a post on that
> thread that identification of Social Networking services is just intuitive.
> You just know one when you see it...

Yes, agree. Flickr though allows you to have friends/contacts, as does
Youtube. Thus, sharing. I don't think Amazon does, thus they should be
removed.

> There was the very beginning of a related thread attached with ACTION 20
> (according to Ron) on the topic of Segmentation of social networks [5]. I do
> not believe that "big", "medium" and "small" are categories we can use.
> Neither is "general purpose" and "Niche" (the two top level categories used
> by Bonneau and Preibusch). Similar to the question of "What is a Social
> Network?", segmentation of services into categories has not received the
> attention I feel it deserves.

What categories are appropriate? Agree in general, but maybe balancing
the Alexa rankings with *both* geography and then a random sample of
smaller services would be ideal.

> Around the beginning of June, I posted a memo [6],  in response to Ron's
> above ACTION 20 memo, with suggested metadata for the matrix. It is a core
> dump of the information I try to capture for a community service fact sheet.
>
> Did I miss some important messages concluding discussion on the (A) purpose
> of the W3C Top Social Networking services list and matrix, (B) the headings
> of features we are seeking to capture, which I believe is the action item
> assigned to Karl above, (C) definitions/terminology which we will use going
> forward?
>
> I realize that today's topic is privacy and data protection in social
> networks, however, f these (above Actions) remain open (not RESOLVED),
> I hope that with the inputs of today's guest speakers, the XG will return to
> working on them.

I keep actions open and in the agenda to make sure we don't forget
about them, so that people can offer updates when needed.