Re: Is a Perfect Storm Forming For Distributed Social Networking?

On 12 Aug 2009, at 10:46, Dave Raggett wrote:
> One of the challenges for distributed social networking is dealing
> with sudden hotspots where a huge spike of interest in a single
> person causes the server that hosts that person's profile to falter
> under the load. This suggests the value for applying peer to peer
> techniques to dynamically distributing the load across many
> machines. Peer to peer techniques can also help to sustain
> performance for search by distributing the processing across many
> machines.

Yes, though I think it should be very rare. Cloud computing solutions
should be able to deal with such situations quite well. In Social
Netoworks I think it is very rare than one person garners so much
visibility that a simple server would get overloaded. Easier than
changing the protocols for such a situation is to simply upgrade your
service contract for a period.

Henry