Re: Iran, SNS, and the Social Web XG

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 9:50 PM, Mischa
Tuffield<mischa.tuffield@garlik.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> Having caught the pig flu, and as a result cancelling my holiday to Iran (a
> lonely tear trickles down my cheek), I have been giving some thought to how
> the recent events surrounding the #IranElections (sorry) could help educate
> the Social Web XG.
> I would be interested to hear how reporters from news agencies which use
> user generated content taken from SNSs actually go about selecting
> information which they then propagate as news. The BBC's world service has
> an Iranian (Persian) [4] division and one of the producers talked about the
> this on the BBC worldservice's digital planet podcast [1] (should be
> accessible from outside the UK - shout if it is not). Clay Skirky also gave
> a TED talk entitled "How social media can make history" [5], which touches
> on similar topics.
> Danbri blogged about extracting reliable narratives from the IranElection
> noise at the time
> [2]. And was a whole break session at a conference about Iran [3] at SOAS
> [4] in London recently, where by people discussed the role of SNS in Iran (I
> didn't attend, but have been told via a friend of a friend).
> Perhaps by chatting to someone which collates news based on user-generated
> content we could get closer to defining some more use cases e.g. around how
> to add provenance information to content when posting to a SNS.
> Would people on the XG find it interesting to hear from someone at BBC
> Persian on how they attempt to collate and use user-generated content to be
> broadcasted as news? If so I am sure I could find someone from BBC persian
> which is willing to talk about this stuff, and take questions from the XG.
> Just a thought ...
> Regards,
> Mischa *wishes he was in Tehran ....

+1. I'd definitely be interested. Also, BBC UK has been employing some
interesting W3C Linked Data technology [1], so perhaps the BBC would
be interested more than many in using cutting-ede software for SNS and
data.

[1] http://derivadow.com/2009/03/31/linking-bbccouk-to-the-linked-data-cloud/

 [1] http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/worldservice/digitalp/digitalp_20090728-1036a.mp3