Bi-directional mapping (RDF2RDB)

From: Sören Auer <auer@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:38:52 -0500
To: public-xg-rdb2rdf <public-xg-rdb2rdf@w3.org>

Hi all,

as much as I remember we did so far only discuss the mapping from RDB to
RDF. In certain settings it might, however, also make sense to be able
to update the RDB using SPARUL [1]. This might of course be pretty
difficult and not even possible in the general case. In the DB community
there is quite some work about updateable views and some DBMS even
support them - if our mapping would be able to distinguish between
mappings which represent updateable views and those which don't we would
get (partial) updateability for free.
Maybe this is to much to be discussed now in the XG or to be added as a
requirement to the recommendation (or shall we?) - but probably worth
keeping in mind once a WG was chartered.

Have a nice weekend everybody,

Sören

[1] http://jena.hpl.hp.com/~afs/SPARQL-Update.html