Re: RDB2RDF Usecase

On 12/16/08 8:43 AM, Sören Auer wrote:

> Hi Ashok, all,
>
> Here my use case description from the Triplify perspective:
>
> In order to make the Semantic Web useful to ordinary Web users RDF and
> OWL have to be deployed on the Web in a much larger scale. Web
> applications such as Content Management Systems, online shops or
> community applications (e.g. Wikis, Blogs, Fora) already back most of
> the existing Web sites and store their data in relational databases
> (cf. [1]). Providing a standardized way to map the relational data
> structures behind these Web applications into RDF, RDF-Schema and OWL
> will facilitate a broad penetration and enrichment of the existing Web
> with RDF data and ontologies and thus be crucial for novel semantic
> browsing and search applications.
> (By supporting the long tail of Web applications and thus
> counteracting the centralization of the Web 2.0 applications the
> planned RDB2RDF standardization will help to give the control over
> data back to end-users and thus promote a democratization of the Web.)
> For this use case scenario, the developed mapping technique should be
> easily implementable for light-weight Web applications and have a
> shallow learning curve in order to be adopted by Web developers.
>
> [1] Auer, Dietzold, Lehmann, Hellmann, Aumueller: Triplify -
> Lightweight Linked Data Publication from Relational Databases,
> submitted to WWW 2009, online at
> http://www.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~auer/publication/triplify.pdf.
>

> Feel free to change the text as you please or request modifications.
> The sentence in brackets could be perceived a little
> politically/ideologically - so feel free to soften or omit.
>
> Best,
>
> Sören

Soren,

Here is a little contribution than can ultimately be meshed with yours.
In all cases we take the view of generic Rdb2Rdf meaning, that
everything applies to: Virtuoso, D2R, Triplify, and other approaches.
Ideally, we can each produce a use case for the group based on the
emerging usecase from the Linked Data Web perspective.

To bootstrap exploitation of the Web as a globally accessible database
it is imperative that the following occur:

1. Web accessible data increases in structural granularity and cross linkage
2. Web applications and solutions produce structured interlinked data as
extensions of existing functionality
3. Web users have zero exposure to the underlying complexity of
injecting structured linked data into the Web

Since many of the platforms that drive the Web are built atop RDBMS
engines, it is safe to assume that addressing the items above comes down
to the ability to unobtrusively transfrom RDBMS hosted data into
structured interlinked data using one or more of the data serialization
formats associated with the RDF data model.

Ashok:
There will be another variant of the above that speaks to the enterprise
via Master Data Management (MDM). Which is also crucial (imho).

--

Regards,

President&  CEO