From: "Luc Moreau" <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
To: "public-xg-prov@w3.org" <public-xg-prov@w3.org>
Subject: further comments on IPV
Date: Mon, Jun 27, 2011 08:36

Hi Paolo, all,

I am catching up with emails sent for the last 5 days.

Your suggestion of formalizing definitions is good, but it is not what we were trying to do here.
We wanted to provide *natural language definitions* for all concepts, so that we begin to share
a common vocabulary.  Once we have this, we can then:
- define an ontology/schema for the terminology, so that we can represent provenance
- define a semantics
- iteratively, inform and refine the natural language definitions

Therefore, we need to be reasonable. We might argue for the next 6 months about the English definition
of a Thing.  What will it bring us?

In fact, we are in serious danger of making the face to face meeting unproductive, since we are not going
to have definitions of concepts.  I would argue that we should have "strawman" definitions for all
concepts, including version and collections (recognizing though that we will not have reached agreement by
then).

Regards,
Luc