Re: A proposed provenance wg draft charter

Hi,
  a couple of further comments on this thread:

On 25/10/2010 07:41, Olaf Hartig wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Sunday 24 October 2010 15:50:28 Paul Groth wrote:
>> Hi Olaf,
>>
>> Thanks for the comments. Really good. Some replies in-line
>> [...]
>> * You speak about "provenance of any web-resource". I still struggle to see
> how Web resources, in general, have provenance. To me provenance is associated
> primarily with specific representations of Web resources that we retrieve from
> the Web.
why wouldn't resources have provenance? just like a piece of data in a database. I see it the opposite way: isn't the provenance of
a manifestation of a resource is just (some view of) the provenance of the resource itself?
>>> 2.) Regarding Deliverable D4: What does "(3) how to query provenance
>>> through a SPARQL endpoint" mean? What do you have in mind here?
>> This would specify about retrieving provenance for a resource using
>> sparql. So given a resource, how would you write a sparql query to
>> retrieve that resource provenance.
> Do we talk about a SPARQL endpoint that exposes a dataset which explicitly
> contains provenance information here? In this case it shouldn't be too difficult
> to write such queries; you only have to know which provenance vocabulary is
> being used to represent provenance information in the dataset.
I agree that given the vocabulaty, writing SPARQL queries against it looks like a standard exercise. In this case,  is D4 just a
collection of examples or template queries?

How about provenance queries that cannot be written directly in SPARQL (closure queries that trace causality through the graph, for
example)

Best, -Paolo