Re: A proposed provenance wg draft charter

Hi,
Thank you Paul and Luc for putting together this document for discussion.

I strongly agree with what Deborah has pointed out that the charter for the working group should take into account as many existing provenance models as possible and select the most relevant set of provenance terms towards a standardization effort.

Luc said: - what is the bias in OPM that makes it difficult to shoehorn PML concepts (ditto for other provenance languages). The mapping exercise, to my knowledge, did not identify any.

Multiple issues were indeed identified during the mapping process, I am specifically referring to Provenir ontology to OPM mapping where Luc agreed with me that many of the concepts in Provenir represent broader notions of provenance as compared to OPM (provenir:data vs. opm:artifact) .

Further, many fundamental provenance related, non-causal properties that are modeled in the Provenir ontology are not present in OPM. E.g. provenir:adjacent_to, provenir: transformation_of etc.

As part of the mapping report work, we also identified many provenance terms that are clearly not present and given the current structure (as defined in the OPM spec v1.1) would not be possible to represent.

There are many specific issues in OPM related to the inferencing, modeling of properties etc., which I have repeatedly pointed out to Luc, Paul and Paolo and given specific examples from the Provenir ontology.

Thanks.

Best,
Satya