Re: A proposed provenance wg draft charter

  Greetings,
Thanks for the work on the draft charter.
I am sending this quickly because i just read the beginning and have a
significant problem with the slant of the charter with the position of
"The goal of this working group is to refine the Open Provenance Model"
and thought I should air this immediately upon seeing the draft.

I strongly believe that the charter of a working group that would end up
with a provenance recommendation should start with the contender models
and take the best aspects from many of them RATHER than starting with
one model and refining it.  I strongly oppose the position that the
charter should take any single model and work to refine it.  I would
propose rather that this group would work like the recent RIF working
group or others where contender starting points were submitted  or like
the OWL working group where two contenders emerged - DAML and OIL and
members from each side worked to create a submission - DAML+OIL that
truly took elements from both languages and ended up with a joint
proposal rather than this way that just takes a single model as a
starting point.

There was some disappointment in the group when we chose to map the
other contender models to a single model, but most if not all understood
that decision from the perspective of time.  I can not say though that i
(or i expect others who were disappointed) could go along with this
position in a proposed charter.

I am sorry that this comes from someone who did not participate nearly
as much as I had hoped to.
I had an extremely bad year with my mother's multiple hospitalizations
and general overwhelming health problems and her subsequent passing.   I
simply have had no choice but to put everything other than family health
at a much lower priority.

Deborah