Re: Suggested Concepts for Charter

Dear All,

I added a list of PML concept to the Wiki and moved Jim’s comments
in-line to the list of concepts. Please note that this list is
restricted to PML concepts that do not overlap with existing OPM
concepts. To keep the list small, I did not include the properties of
these concepts and some of their specializations.

pmlp:IdentifiedThing: The abstract root of provenance related concepts.
   It organizes a collection of common metadata about the referenced
   object, and it does not have any instance

   - pmlp:InferenceRule: It is the recipe of a process. We can say
     that it is the rule applied on the input information of a process
     execution and used to derive the product (or conclusion) or the
     process execution. In the Cake scenario, it is the recipe for Bake.

      * pmlp:DeclarativeRule: It is an inference rule (or recipe) that
        describes the logics of the transformation of input data into a
        product without specifying how the transformation occurs. It is
        often used for representing formal inference rules including
        deductive and inductive rules

      * pmlp:MethodRule: It is an inference rule that describes how a
        product is derived from input information (e.g., an algorithm
        that describes how its result is derived from the algorithm’s
        arguments).  This kind of inference rule is also use to
        represent named recipes where the exact way input information is
        transformed is unknown (e.g., “black boxes”);

   - pmlp:Source (it is a generalization of opm:Agent): It is an
     identified thing from where we obtain information

      * pmlp:Agent: An actionable entity capable of asserting information

      * pmlp:Document: A physical information container that is not
        actionable. They function like database

      * pmlp:DocumentFragment: A fragment of document that can be used
        as source

   - pmlp:SourceUsage: it is the connection between a source (i.e.,  a
     mutable identified thing such as an agent or document) and
     information (i.e., immutable things) obtained from the source

JustificationElement:

   - pmlp:NodeSet: The justification collection for a resource is a
     directed acyclic graph of node sets connected by inference steps.
     Each node set has a conclusion and any number of inference steps
     including zero. We have speculated whether opm:Account is a
     mechanism for alternative or complementary provenance, reason why
     we keep this concept in the list

   - pmlp:Query:It is a formal representation of user's question. For
     example, the interest of a customer in a cake was triggered by the
     following request from the customer: “What are the desserts
     available today in your restaurant?”

Many thanks,
Paulo.