Re: W3C Provenance Working Group Charter - another alternate version for discussion

Hi,

Just to respond briefly since I will miss the teleconference (about to
get on a train):

My objection in the offline discussion Luc refers to was based on the
fact that there are not a lot of proposals that already deal with
expressing history/dynamic provenance for versioned, structured data
(e.g. databases), hence it may not be realistic to expect consensus to
emerge within a WG.  Thus, I didn't want the charter to make it sound
like solving this problem was a requirement (or to yield a solution
that claimed to address this problem but didn't).

If there is near-consensus for the easier problem of expressing
versioning or "source" relationships on non-structured data then I
wouldn't object to that.  And in any case I don't have veto power.

--James

On Nov 19, 2010, at 2:37 PM, Luc Moreau wrote:

> Jim,
>
> Thanks for these constructive suggestions.
>
> I like the notion of source, it is definitely very useful, and is
> necessary to address the News Aggregator scenario.
>
> The idea of a plan/recipe is also crucial for workflow based
> systems. It would be good to have standardized conventions
> to refer to them.
>
> I also agree that developing a comprehensive solution for dealing
> with mutable state is very challenging. This
> topic would probably involve notions of provenance from the database
> community. In previous discussion with
> James Cheney, we felt that this should be out of scope of
> standardization activity.  However, I agree with you
> that it would be nice to address a tractable subset of this problem.
> In particular, the ability to relate versions/states
> of a resource would be useful.
>
> In summary, these are concrete terms: pml:Source, pml:Engine,
> pml:Rule/Plan, pml:hasEngine, pml:hasRule/Plan.
>
> I would also add:  Resource, State Representation, Version
>
> I also recall Paulo mentioning Query. Should this be on the table of
> a standardization activity?
>
> Thanks,
> Luc
>
> On 11/18/2010 03:55 PM, Myers, Jim wrote:
>>
>> Apologies for being silent this week – hard to get coherent time
>> here, so some random thoughts. My take on the technical issues
>> being raised in the edits is that:
>>
>> The basic core that was addressed by OPM is not controversial but
>> naming of concepts could be improved  (the text changes are more
>> focused on making it clearer that OPM didn’t invent these concepts
>> - it’s value is really as evidence that this is roughly the right
>> scope to address (OPM was the set that we could get agreement on)).
>>
>> I do see a few places where people are suggesting stretching that
>> scope a bit:
>>
>> Sources – the idea of an agent or mutable resource from which a
>> resource of interest (the thing were documenting the provenance of)
>> comes. Nominally this could be dealt with by recording a an agent
>> controlling a publication process to produce the resource and I
>> think the question to resolve is whether a special construct would
>> be useful. I think the PML folks would argue that it is since an
>> agent-process-resource relation is too generic to signal that being
>> a source is special (i.e. an article derived from the NYTimes
>> differs in importance from the same article being handed to you by
>> Joe the newspaper seller (both are just agent-process-resource
>> constructs). With others in the XG group having special constructs
>> for publication/retrieval from a service, it seems like consensus
>> might be possible on this and I think having discussion of this be
>> part of the working group scope would be useful.
>>
>> Another construct that looks useful is some link between provenance
>> and the plan/recipe that was being followed. What that recipe is
> [...]
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.