Provenance XG Tcon Agenda for March 12

From: Yolanda Gil <gil@ISI.EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 16:59:58 -0800
To: public-xg-prov@w3.org

In a few days, it will be 6 months that this group started its
activities.  We have been very productive, and our wiki contains very
useful pointers and documents [1].  We have an on-line paper
collection and a compilation of surveys and relevant meetings [2].  We
have identified a set of key dimensions for provenance [3].  We have
developed about 30 use cases [4,5] in a variety of contexts.  We have
a broad set of requirements derived from those use cases [6].  We are
currently reviewing prior work on provenance in that context, with
thematic discussions at our weekly telecons [7].

At this point, other groups are starting to request that we report on
our activities to date.  It is also a good time to plan ahead to make
sure our final products will be a useful legacy and will lay the path
to next steps.

In this week's telecon I propose that we step back from our current
activities and consider a few general points:

- is our wiki organized in a way that is accessible and informative to
us but more importantly to others
- our first deliverable: a synthesis of the requirements for
provenance using three mega use cases (Paul Groth will be leading a
more detailed discussion on this on March 19th)
- our next deliverable: what should we be doing to prepare for it as
we go through the thematic discussions [7]?
- should we have an agreed upon working definition of provenance?
- we should have a set of slides to be used to present the group's
activities.  I assembled a draft at http://www.isi.edu/~gil/docs/W3C-ProvenanceOverview-March2010.pdf
  and would like to collect your feedback
- what may be the best use of our face to face meeting?
- do we need to adjust our planned activities or change our process?

There is much to discuss, so I hope we can make good use of IRC and
everyone can contribute suggestions and ideas.  Would someone please
volunteer to be scribe?

MARCH 14, IN (MOST OF) EUROPE ON MARCH 28 *****  Therefore, for our
telecons on March 19 and March 26 the time difference between US and
Europe will be 1 hour less than it currently is.  Check your local
times for those two weeks at http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=3&day=19&year=2010&hour=11&min=0&sec=0&p1=43

Looking forward to the discussion on Friday!

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/prov/wiki
[2] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/prov/wiki/Provenance_Survey
[3] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/prov/wiki/Provenance_Dimensions
[4] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/prov/wiki/Use_Cases
[5] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/prov/wiki/Use_Cases#Exemplifying_Provenance_Dimensions_with_Use_Cases
[6] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/prov/wiki/Requirements
[7] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/prov/wiki/Presentations_on_State_of_the_Art

Past teleconferences and minutes are recorded on the wiki:

Time:  http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=3&day=12&year=2010&hour=11&min=0&sec=0&p1=43
Bridge US: +1-617-761-6200 (Zakim)
Bridge UK: +44.117.370.6152
Bridge FR: +
Conference code: 98765
Duration: 60 minutes

** Note: If you are new to W3C, please take some time to learn about
IRC at:

IRC channel: #prov-xg on irc.w3.org:6665
W3C IRC Web Client: http://www.w3.org/2001/01/cgi-irc
Scribe: TBD

Welcome, review of agenda (by Yolanda Gil)
Short introductions by new members (led by Yolanda Gil)
Discussions on group's perspective at 6 months (led by Yolanda Gil)
Planning for next meeting, agenda and note taker (led by Yolanda Gil)