W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xg-prov@w3.org > October 2009

minutes of 2009-10-30 teleconference

From: Raphaël Troncy <Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 19:40:19 +0100
Message-ID: <4AEB3313.5050506@cwi.nl>
To: public-xg-prov@w3.org
Dear all,

The minutes of today's telecon are available for review at 
http://www.w3.org/2009/10/30-prov-xg-minutes.html (and in text format 
below).
Cheers.

   Raphaël

---------
    [1]W3C
       [1] http://www.w3.org/
                   Provenance XG - Telecon 30-10-2009
30 Oct 2009
    [2]Agenda
       [2] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-prov/2009Oct/0006.html
    See also: [3]IRC log
       [3] http://www.w3.org/2009/10/30-prov-xg-irc
Attendees
    Present
           Raphael, Yolanda, Deborah, Luc, Satia, Paolo, Irini,
           Christine, Joshua, Simon, Paul, JimM
    Regrets
           Olaf
    Chair
           YolandaG
    Scribe
           raphael

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]1. Introduction
          2. [6]2. Participants introductions
          3. [7]3. Goal of this XG
          4. [8]4. Plan for the next meting
          5. [9]5. AOB
      * [10]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________


    yep, perfect, I will ping Yolanda so she can request trackbot to be
    attached to this group

    <scribe> scribe: raphael

    <scribe> scribenick: raphael

    wow, someone has dialed very early

    who has called ?

    who has just called zakim ?

    <pgroth> me

    Paul, you were the first ?

    <pgroth> i think, i just dialed in

    <Irini> Ηι

    <Irini> Hi, this is Irini Fundulaki from Greece (+30 2810..)

    <smiles> Hello, I (Simon Miles) am here too

    <paolo> hi all

    please, when you join, state your name

    so Zakim can recognize

    <ssahoo2> ssahoo2 is satya sahoo

    Web IRC is available at [11]http://cgi.w3.org/member-bin/irc/irc.cgi
    pass the message

      [11] http://cgi.w3.org/member-bin/irc/irc.cgi

1. Introduction

    Yolanda: I thank everybody, more than 35 people have joined the
    group and more will join
    ... I'm available as chair for anyone who has concern, issue
    ... a lot of people couldn't join today, but wanted to start early

    Raphael: I'm willing to show you the magic commands
    ... I'm very sorry, I'm disconnected often

    [12]http://cgi.w3.org/member-bin/irc/irc.cgi

      [12] http://cgi.w3.org/member-bin/irc/irc.cgi

    <paolo> whois?

    <rreck> what is the conference call code?

    <pgroth> conference call code is : 98765

    <ssahoo2> conf code 98765

    Raphael: introducing quickly to some irc commands

    <rreck> i can answer that

    <rreck> you decide who you are based on timing

    <rreck> i thought the call started at 11 EDT

    <pgroth> it does

    <pgroth> where are you at rreck

    <pgroth> ?

2. Participants introductions

    <rreck> washington DC metro, so EDT

    Yolanda: all, please introduce you very briefly on the phone
    ... but use the mailing list to introduce you with more details,
    providing links to paper and research
    ... I'm starting, I have done work using provenance for trust in
    knowledge base ... provenance in workflow system

    <rreck> q question mark tells you who is on the queue

    Luc: I'm Luc Moreau from Uni. of Southampton
    ... I'm working in Provenance since a lot of time, interoperability,
    creating with some others the Provenance Challenge
    ... we have 20-25 teams working on this activity ... result is OPM,
    the Open Provenance Model, used in the last edition of the challenge
    ... more than 400 papers have been published on this topic
    ... will send a paper by the end of the next week

    Raphael: I believe I have transcribed everything :-)

    <ssahoo2> satya sahoo

    Satya: use semantic web technique for representing provenance, made
    a formal ontology
    ... with Paolo and Juliana ... just run the Provenance Workshop
    @ISWC

    Paolo: I'm from Uni. of Manchester, interested in Provenance since 2
    years
    ... I will ask feedback to people about interface?
    ... regarding OPM, work in a specific profile, we have participated
    in the 3rd year challenge of the provenance challenge
    ... we should put in the wiki more links to the provenance challenge
    results?

    ALL: please feel free to correct me if I'm scribing things wrongly

    Jim Myers: Uni of Irvine

    <YolandaG> Jim Myers is at NCSA, not Irvine

    <ssahoo2> Jim is at NCSA Univ of Illinois

    scribe: involved a lot in OPM and in the provenance challenge
    ... more details posted to the list

    Paul: Free University of Amsterdam
    ... interested in mashups?

    <pgroth> vrije unviersity amsterdam

    <pgroth> btw

    Irini: FORTH team, got a paper in ISWC 2 days ago

    <rreck> sorry i missed the paper. do you have a link to it ?

    Thanks Paul

    <Irini> please substitute FORTH with FORTH

    <rreck> joshua: i am in chantilly

    Joshua Philips: Invited expert

    <Irini> link to the FORTH paper:
    [13]http://iswc2009.semanticweb.org/wiki/index.php/ISWC_2009_Researc
    h_Track#10:30__.09_Semantics:_Reasoning_and_Provenance

      [13] 
http://iswc2009.semanticweb.org/wiki/index.php/ISWC_2009_Research_Track#10:30__.09_Semantics:_Reasoning_and_Provenance

    who is talking?

    <Deborah> Jim McCusker

    <rreck> me too!

    Christine: Internet Society, not on IRC, interest in provenanc for
    privacy and data protection

    <Deborah> Deborah L McGuinness

    <Deborah> Professor of Computer Science and Cognitive Science
    Tetherless World Constellation RPI (previously led Stanford
    University�s Knowledge Systems Laboratory)

    <Deborah> Inference Web � Knowledge Provenance Interlingua
    Environment � [14]http://inference-web.org

      [14] http://inference-web.org/

    <Deborah> Uses

    <Deborah> PML � Proof Markup Language � Knowledge Provenance
    Interlingua -
    [15]http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/KSL_Abstracts/KSL-07-07.html

      [15] http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/KSL_Abstracts/KSL-07-07.html

    Deborah: RPI now, interested in provenance to improve trust
    ... work in the Proof Markup Language

    <Deborah> retrying to post info

    <Deborah> Deborah L McGuinness

    <Deborah> Professor of Computer Science and Cognitive Science
    Tetherless World Constellation RPI (previously led Stanford
    University�s Knowledge Systems Laboratory)

    <Deborah> Inference Web � Knowledge Provenance Interlingua
    Environment � [16]http://inference-web.org

      [16] http://inference-web.org/

    <Deborah> Uses

    <Deborah> PML � Proof Markup Language � Knowledge Provenance
    Interlingua -
    [17]http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/KSL_Abstracts/KSL-07-07.html

      [17] http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/KSL_Abstracts/KSL-07-07.html

    it's ok Deborah, already recorded ... thought you have strange
    characters in your sentences

    <paolo> I sent a link to the SWPM wiki yesterday through the mlist,
    not sure it was distributed correctly?

3. Goal of this XG

    Yolanda: we are an Incubator Group, XG, and NOT a WG, so we will not
    develop a recommendation

    <Deborah> ok - thx raphael - is there a url where we can view the
    full recording? (i only can see text since i rejoined irc)

    Yolanda: we will rather explore new area and provide guidance to W3C
    of what should be done in this domain

    Deborah, here

    <rreck> yes, I sent you an email to that effect

    Yolanda: mailing list is public, and archived, so everything you
    send is accessible for ever
    ... we need to define the scope? of the work
    ... provenance is present in a very broad range of domains
    ... in the context of the Semantic Web, a lot of interest for Linked
    Data

    Raphael: indeed, there is at least me, Olaf Hartif here ... in the
    Washington DC VoCamp in the Library of Congress, and we are
    discussing Provenance vocabularies

    Yolanda: goal is to describe the landscape of the various intiatives

    <pgroth> Paul

    <pgroth> as well raphael :-)

    Yolanda: identify the aspect of provenance thant concerns various
    communities including Semantic Web
    ... ultmately we will provide a state of the art on the topic ...
    and a roadmap that could recommend some standardisation effort
    ... wiki will be a good place to collaboratively contribute

    <jmyers4> and present + Jim M?

    Yolanda: open forum so that everyone can comment

    thanks all for your help :-)

    <rreck> i would send some lessons learned from the social XG

    ???: Problem with the wiki ... is it write protected?

    <pgroth> what's the url of the wiki?

    scribe: can you add all participants of this XG as wiki user?

    WIKI URL: [18]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/prov/wiki/Main_Page

      [18] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/prov/wiki/Main_Page

    Rreck: I want to give you my experience with the Social Web XG ...
    how to use the wiki for writing use cases

    <rreck> i think i forwarded those to you

    <rreck> i would be glad to post them

    Yolanda: which use cases from the SW XG would be interesting for
    this group?

    rreck, please, send anything to the PUBLIC mailing list and not
    privalety to the chair

    since this group operates in public

    <rreck> right, i havent joined the group offcially

    <rreck> and she asked me to do so

    <rreck>
    [19]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/UserStories#Trac
    king_Sources

      [19] 
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/UserStories#Tracking_Sources

    Yolanda: the charter is frozen

    <rreck>
    [20]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/UserStories#Shil
    ls_Posting_False_Information_to_Dilute_the_Truth

      [20] 
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/UserStories#Shills_Posting_False_Information_to_Dilute_the_Truth

    could you please all state your name before talking ? I cannot yet
    match voices with names

    <pgroth> that was pgroth

    <pgroth> i should have used the speaker queue

    Paul: I suggest we liaise with other groups / other organizations

    Raphael: are you suggesting some particular groups and organisations
    ?

    <rreck> maybe we can come up with a template for usecases?

    Yolanda: if you have a w3c account, you should be able to edit the
    wiki
    ... we need to structure it as well, have a part of use cases, use
    stories, etc.
    ... who is willing to organize a top level structure for the wiki ?
    ... I'm asking for a volunteer

    who has talked ?

    <rreck> its seems that security to the wiki is group specific,
    therefore all w3c accounts will not automatically work

    <smiles> Paul talked

    Paul: I volunteer, didn't get your name

    <paolo> Washington DC VoCamp in the Library of Congress, and we are
    discussing Provenance vocabularies

    <rreck> i wish i had the stamina to have attended

    <Deborah> great paolo - you might mention this group and the
    upcoming ipaw - june 15-16, and challenge june 17 at RPI

    <paolo> Deborah is there a CFP for IPAW already?

4. Plan for the next meting

    <Deborah> coming very soon

    <paolo> ok thx

    Yolanda: I think we should start with some use cases

    <rreck> i agree that setting milestones is a great idea

    <Deborah> it will go up at [21]http://tw.rpi.edu/portal/IPAW2010

      [21] http://tw.rpi.edu/portal/IPAW2010

    Yolanda: we will spend time with more introduction with the ones who
    couldn't make it today, and then discuss high level goals for the
    group

    <rreck> might i recommend a template for usecases?

    <Deborah> +1 to template suggestion

    Yolanda: anyone wants to suggest other topics for discussion ?

    +1 for template for use cases

    <pgroth> simon? template

    <rreck> i will take that action

    Yolanda: I would put a discussion item next week for such a template

    Simon: I will work on one?

    I would certainly help next week scribe, thanks Paolo

    Next scribe: Paolo

    <pgroth> luc's survey

    Luc's survey is indeed the right things to start with

    Paoo: what is the current timeline to have this survey available

    Luc: I hope to release the survey by next week

    Irini: I can provide some links also, since we are preparing a
    survey as well on the topic

5. AOB

    I will email details on the mailing list for wiki access

    <ian_oliver> Thank you all and good night

    Yolanda: anything elese ?

    <rreck> bye

    [silence]

    meeting adjourned

Summary of Action Items

    [End of minutes]

-- 
Raphaël Troncy
EURECOM, Multimedia Communications Department
2229, route des Crêtes, 06560 Sophia Antipolis, France.
e-mail: raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr & raphael.troncy@gmail.com
Tel: +33 (0)4 - 9300 8242
Fax: +33 (0)4 - 9000 8200
Web: http://www.eurecom.fr/~troncy/
Received on Friday, 30 October 2009 22:39:14 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 30 October 2009 22:39:15 GMT