W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xg-owea@w3.org > September 2009

OWEA Telcon, 3 September 2009

From: Glenda Sims <glsims99@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 17:34:59 -0500
Message-ID: <34dbf4720909031534s238e5543i152cefc4c0b5d354@mail.gmail.com>
To: public-xg-owea@w3.org
OWEA Folks,
The minutes for the OWEA Telcon of 3 September 2009 can be found here
http://www.w3.org/2009/09/03-owea-minutes.html

Or as text below:

[1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

      Open Web Education Alliance Incubator Group Teleconference

03 Sep 2009

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2009/09/03-owea-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Steph_Troeth_Aaron_G_Lars, Mark, Virginia, Glenda, Scott,
          John

   Regrets
   Chair
          SV_MEETING_CHAIR

   Scribe
          gsims

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]White Paper & Short Deadline
         2. [5]Public Communication
     * [6]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________



   <trackbot> Date: 03 September 2009

   <scribe> scribenick: gsims

   <scribe> meeting: OWEA XG Teleconference

White Paper & Short Deadline

   group discussed Aaron's great start to the White paper

   <aaron>
   [7]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/owea/wiki/Talk:Organizational_Wh
   ite_Paper

      [7] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/owea/wiki/Talk:Organizational_White_Paper

   how do we get a draft to W3C by Sept 15?

   <scribe> ACTION: shepazu draft email to W3C to let them know OWEA
   white paper is coming [recorded in
   [8]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/03-owea-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-7 - Draft email to W3C to let them know
   OWEA white paper is coming [on Doug Schepers - due 2009-09-10].

   <aaron> Executive Summary

   <aaron> Strategic Vision & Guiding Principles (based on OWEA Vision)

   <aaron> Stategic Initiatives - Bold Steps for next 12-18 months

   <aaron> Define Organizational Structure for OWEA

   <aaron> Type of Organization (what Aaron wrote)

   <aaron> Membership

   <aaron> Course Content Policies

   <aaron> Intellectual Property Policy

   <aaron> Sustainability and Resourcing

   <aaron> Establish model program at a university, a community college
   and a high school

   <aaron> Establish outreach models and pilot activities

   <aaron> Conclusion

   <scribe> ACTION: gsims write section Strategic Vision & Guiding
   Principles [recorded in
   [9]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/03-owea-minutes.html#action02]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-8 - Write section Strategic Vision &
   Guiding Principles [on Glenda Sims - due 2009-09-10].

   <scribe> ACTION: gsims write Strategic Initiatives - bold steps
   [recorded in
   [10]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/03-owea-minutes.html#action03]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-9 - Write Strategic Initiatives - bold
   steps [on Glenda Sims - due 2009-09-10].

   steph & virginia have offered help editing

   mark & scott have offered help editing too

   <scribe> ACTION: johnallsopp write Membership [recorded in
   [11]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/03-owea-minutes.html#action04]

   <trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - johnallsopp

   <scribe> ACTION: aarronwalter write section on Course Content
   Policies [recorded in
   [12]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/03-owea-minutes.html#action05]

   <trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - aarronwalter

   <sniffles> 6932

   <scribe> ACTION: MarkDuBois start writing IP section [recorded in
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/03-owea-minutes.html#action06]

   <trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - MarkDuBois

   <scribe> ACTION: ben_friedman draft Sustainability and Resourcing
   [recorded in
   [14]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/03-owea-minutes.html#action07]

   <trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - ben_friedman

   <scribe> ACTION: chrismills draft Outreach section [recorded in
   [15]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/03-owea-minutes.html#action08]

   <trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - chrismills

   Mark will draft model program for community college

   We nominate Jeff to draft model program for HS

   We nominate Leslie to draft model program for university

   <itpastorn> I'd like to be on that call as well

   Ideally, Mark, Leslie, Jeff and Lars should get on a small call to
   discuss model programs.

   <scribe> ACTION: MarkDuBois set up meeting with Mark, Leslie, Jeff
   and Lars (and let Doug know you need a phone bridge at date/time)
   [recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/03-owea-minutes.html#action09]

   <trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - MarkDuBois

   got dropped...calling back in

   timeline for 1st draft - Thursday, September 10 - post draft
   directly in OWEA wiki

   <scribe> ACTION: virginia first editor [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/03-owea-minutes.html#action10]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-10 - First editor [on Virginia DeBolt -
   due 2009-09-10].

   <scribe> ACTION: sfegette second editor [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/03-owea-minutes.html#action11]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-11 - Second editor [on Scott Fegette - due
   2009-09-10].

   <scribe> ACTION: sniffles third editor [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/03-owea-minutes.html#action12]

   <trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - sniffles

   action - aaron and steph write conclusion

   <trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - -

   doug: steve bratt is interested in reviewing the white paper draft

   [20]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/owea/wiki/Sustainability_and_Re
   sourcing

     [20] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/owea/wiki/Sustainability_and_Resourcing

   john: is membership a source of funding? primary? secondary? or not
   at all?

   individual membership vs. larger membership (large companies,
   institutions)

   john: suggest models for membership / partnership

   Doug: I think presenting a number of alternatives is good. Provides
   flexibility.

   John: also note the challenge of the word "member". Already has
   meaning within the W3C. Will need to come up with another word.

Public Communication

   <ben_friedman> i spaced and missed the assigned deadline date for
   first drafts. Help a brother out?

   Deadline for first drafts is a week from today, Thursday, September
   10th :)

   <sniffles> [21]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/owea/wiki/Main_Page

     [21] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/owea/wiki/Main_Page

   sniffles: note changes to front page of OWEA wiki to help new
   visitors understand that we are in the forming stage

   (waves to aarron)

   <Aarron> sorry I'm late :(

   <sniffles> hey aarron

   no prob...glad you are here :) we volunteered you for a section of
   the white paper

   <Aarron> Oh joy!

   <itpastorn> Hi Aarron!

   <Aarron> hola!

   <ben_friedman> thanks glenda

   sniffles: thanks to Ben for creating a new OWEA FAQ page at
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/owea/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Ques
   tions

     [22] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/owea/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions

   populated with questions...feel free to help answer them!

   sniffles: it would be nice to appoint someone as the community
   communicator

   john: volunteered to be community communicator

   sniffles: we can revisit community communications if there is an
   increase in traffic

   [23]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/owea/wiki/Talk:Organizational_W
   hite_Paper

     [23] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/owea/wiki/Talk:Organizational_White_Paper

   sniffles: when you have finished your section...alert the OWEA
   mailing list (especially the editors)

   MarkDuBois: when is next conference call?

   sniffles: 2 weeks out for regular call

   shepazu: a number of funding paths available through w3F

   <aaron> bye

   <itpastorn> And good night from me. 2 minutes to midnight. Time to
   sleep!

   trackbot, end telcon

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: aarronwalter write section on Course Content Policies
   [recorded in
   [24]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/03-owea-minutes.html#action05]
   [NEW] ACTION: ben_friedman draft Sustainability and Resourcing
   [recorded in
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/03-owea-minutes.html#action07]
   [NEW] ACTION: chrismills draft Outreach section [recorded in
   [26]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/03-owea-minutes.html#action08]
   [NEW] ACTION: gsims write section Strategic Vision & Guiding
   Principles [recorded in
   [27]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/03-owea-minutes.html#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: gsims write Strategic Initiatives - bold steps
   [recorded in
   [28]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/03-owea-minutes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: johnallsopp write Membership [recorded in
   [29]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/03-owea-minutes.html#action04]
   [NEW] ACTION: MarkDuBois set up meeting with Mark, Leslie, Jeff and
   Lars (and let Doug know you need a phone bridge at date/time)
   [recorded in
   [30]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/03-owea-minutes.html#action09]
   [NEW] ACTION: MarkDuBois start writing IP section [recorded in
   [31]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/03-owea-minutes.html#action06]
   [NEW] ACTION: sfegette second editor [recorded in
   [32]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/03-owea-minutes.html#action11]
   [NEW] ACTION: shepazu draft email to W3C to let them know OWEA white
   paper is coming [recorded in
   [33]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/03-owea-minutes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: sniffles third editor [recorded in
   [34]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/03-owea-minutes.html#action12]
   [NEW] ACTION: virginia first editor [recorded in
   [35]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/03-owea-minutes.html#action10]

   [End of minutes]



-- 
glenda sims | glsims99@gmail.com | glendathegood.com
Received on Thursday, 3 September 2009 22:35:35 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 3 September 2009 22:35:36 GMT