RE: Towards a TAG consideration of CURIEs

Misha,

Would it be feasible to mandate a particular prefix as part of all
taxonomy IDs, such as "code:"?  For example:

	< . . . xml:id="code:12345" . . . >
	< . . . xml:id="code:foo" . . . >

This would permit the the XML to be valid, and simple concatenation of
the namespace with the ID value would then work, whether the namespace
ends in "#" or "/":

	"http://example.org/whatever#" + "code:12345" =
		"http://example.org/whatever#code:12345"

	"http://example.org/whatever/" + "code:12345" =
		"http://example.org/whatever#code:12345"

I know you (or someone else) mentioned that publishers do not want to
modify their existing codes, but something like this would be easy for
both human and machine to syntactically distinguish from the original
codes ("12345" or "foo").  In that sense the prefix seems conceptually
no different from other XML syntax that surrounds the original codes and
must be parsed away to retrieve the original codes.

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software