Re: [MMSEM-UC] Questions on the tagging use case

From: Thomas Franz <franz@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 09:53:45 +0100
To: "Jeff Z. Pan" <jpan@csd.abdn.ac.uk>
Cc: public-xg-mmsem@w3.org, George Anadiotis <George.Anadiotis@cwi.nl>
Dear Jeff,

see my comments below ...

George, do you agree?

Jeff Z. Pan wrote:

> Dear George, Thomas and Susanne,
>
> Here are two quick questions on the tagging use case:
>
> 1) This is a very exciting use case. Am I right in saying that  the
> interoperability here is among different tagging systems, rather than
> that of existing multimedia standards? Or there are some implicit
> relations between the two?
Yes, I agree. Tagging is used for the organization and retrieval of multimedia
data, ranging from video, image, to text (e.g. youtube-like portals, flickr, and blog sites).
Right now, there does not even exist any standard that specifies how to model taggings
leading me to the second question.

> 2) I am not an expert of SKOS and could not quite see how SKOS can help.
> Could you give an example or clarify this point?
SKOS can be used to add semantics to the concepts that tags might represent by providing
semantic links to other concepts. In general, SKOS can be used to represent tags so that
taggings maintained on different platforms can be shared based on such a common conceptual model.