Re: Checking "Increase library participation in Semantic Web standardization" rec

From: ZENG, MARCIA <mzeng@kent.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 11:52:19 -0400
To: Tom Baker <tbaker@tbaker.de>
CC: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>, "public-xg-lld@w3.org" <public-xg-lld@w3.org>

On Sep 7, 2011, at 11:08, "Tom Baker" <tbaker@tbaker.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 07:55:05AM +0200, Antoine Isaac wrote:
>> It has always amazed me how library people are allergic to any terminological
>> generalization of "pre-coordination" (it's about assembling different
>> concepts together, no? So a kind of combination...). Anyway, what was
>> bothering me is that the previously written "concept coordination" was
>> looking too vague while denoting a quite precise thing ("concept" here is
>> much more precise than many other occurrences of the same word in the rest of
>> the text). Having an all-precise wording such as "pre-coordinated subject
>> heading" is also very fine by me!
>>
>> Changes made at
>> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/index.php?title=Draft_recommendations_page_take2&diff=6287&oldid=6269
>
> Antoine,
>
> The only problem with this new wording:
>
>    [SKOS]... does not include mechanisms for representing pre-coordinated subject headings...
>
> is that "SKOS" (or RDF) does in fact include a "mechanism for representing
> pre-coordinated subject headings": you simply give them URIs!  A wording like
> "representing the component concepts of pre-coordinated subject headings" gets
> closer, but there, too, one could argue that you just give the concepts URIs
> (not that those concepts are necessarily related to the pre-coordinated subject
> headings, if you see what I mean).  In other words, that wording doesn't quite
> capture what you wanted to say, Antoine, with "combining concepts".
>
> If I can think of a better wording, I'll post it...  Maybe something like
> "representing pre-coordinated subject headings as combinations of component
> concepts"...?
>
> Tom
>
> --
> Tom Baker <tom@tombaker.org>

Agree with Tom. It is doable, as the LCSH linked data version has done. (especially in the current version). See example http://id.loc.gov/authorities/subjects/sh2010119368.html

I wonder if we need to get into how SKOS can be used and extended in our report. If our report wants to be cited for a while, it is better not to have the content which may expire soon.

Marcia