Re: Library data is expressed primarily as text strings

From: Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 09:29:26 -0700
To: public-xg-lld@w3.org
In other environments I have included the concept of "natural
language" to distinguish between these concepts. For most non-IT
people, "text" means "in a human language", and "text string" just
means a bit of human language. We refer to a book or article as being
"text." If I wish to refer to "strings" in the IT sense, I would say
"alphanumeric strings" or something of that nature.

When I look up definitions of text I don't see anything that would
equate the term "text" with a URI. Even the definition of "formatted
text" [1] doesn't equate it with non-language strings.

So maybe the problem here is with the use of "text strings" rather
than "text." Library data is primarily expressed as text -- that is,
as human language. The few uses of formatted data are either numeric
data (used mainly for cartographic materials) and codes (language
codes, codes for locations, etc.)

kc