Re: "Foster a discussion about Open Data and rights"

From: Tom Baker <tbaker@tbaker.de>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 11:44:32 -0400
To: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>
Cc: public-xg-lld@w3.org
On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 12:16:38AM +0200, Antoine Isaac wrote:
> Hmm, meanwhile, I've come to terms with the current wording.
> But as I promised it, here's a try (not implemented yet):
> [
> In defining rights for data, owners must strike a balance between the value they perceive for protecting their investment and the impact of usage restrictions, as restrictions only complicate the re-use of data in a Linked Data environment.
> ]

I like it.  It looks to me like stating the obvious - something that is left
implicit in the section as currently written and should be made explicit.

I note that this is in a section addressed to "library leaders", and this point addresses
"owners".  Maybe the sentence:

    It makes sense to seek agreement about rights and licensing at the level of...

...should be just a bit more explicit (i.e., "who" should seek agreement?):

    It makes sense for library leaders to seek agreement with owners about rights and licensing at the level of...

???

Tom Baker <tom@tombaker.org>