Re: "Foster a discussion about Open Data and rights"

From: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 00:16:38 +0200
To: public-xg-lld@w3.org

>> On Sun, Sep 04, 2011 at 08:39:46PM +0100, Jodi Schneider wrote:
>>> "as complex restrictions only complicate the re-use of data in a Linked Data
>>> environment. "
>>>
>>> In fact *any* restrictions (not just complex ones) complicate the re-use of
>>> data. So I'd suggest strengthening this by removing 'complex'.
>>
>> Done! [1]
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> [1] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/index.php?title=Draft_recommendations_page_take2&diff=6142&oldid=6138
>>

> Though I was not involved in the making of that paragraph, I'll have to check it, so let's start ;-)
> I like the new wording, which shows that rights creates burden for users. This was much less present in the previous wording. Yet, I now miss the aspect that was (I suppose) aimed at not scaring data owners, and reckoned that there is a subtle balance to reach (between owners' and users' interests). I'll see what I can propose, later today...

Hmm, meanwhile, I've come to terms with the current wording.
But as I promised it, here's a try (not implemented yet):
[
In defining rights for data, owners must strike a balance between the value they perceive for protecting their investment and the impact of usage restrictions, as restrictions only complicate the re-use of data in a Linked Data environment.
]