Recommendations -- authority files and discrete values

From: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 00:03:12 +0200
To: public-xg-lld <public-xg-lld@w3.org>
Hi,

While checking the Recs I bumped into
"Among these are authority files (which function as identifiers and have discrete values) and controlled lists."
I have trouble understanding this clearly: to me it is something within authority files that functions as ids, and that thing may be discrete values (i.e., a name string?). I've tried to render that by
"Among these are authority files (which function as identifiers and have discrete values) and controlled lists."
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/index.php?title=Draft_recommendations_page_take2&diff=6214&oldid=6205

But I'm not so sure...