Re: Library data is expressed primarily as text strings

From: Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 08:42:59 -0700
To: public-xg-lld@w3.org
Quoting "ZENG, MARCIA" <mzeng@kent.edu>:

> I especially agree with Antoine about this heading ""Library controlled
> vocabularies are
> expressed as text strings". The text strings are usually used as the
> values in practices. A vocabulary itself does not have to be
> expressed/represented in only one way.

But for linked data it does need to be expressed as a URI, not a text
string. And the topic of our report is linked data. Linking is between
URIs, and text strings are "dead ends" in the LD environment. They can
be used (indexed, compared, displayed, etc.) but not linked in the LD
sense.

So maybe what we want here is to say that *most* library controlled
vocabularies do not have URIs *yet* (with LCSH and a few others being
exceptions).