Re: "Foster a discussion about Open Data and rights"

From: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 08:35:06 +0200
To: public-xg-lld@w3.org

> On Sun, Sep 04, 2011 at 08:39:46PM +0100, Jodi Schneider wrote:
>> "as complex restrictions only complicate the re-use of data in a Linked Data
>> environment. "
>>
>> In fact *any* restrictions (not just complex ones) complicate the re-use of
>> data. So I'd suggest strengthening this by removing 'complex'.
>
> Done! [1]
>
> Tom
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/index.php?title=Draft_recommendations_page_take2&diff=6142&oldid=6138

Though I was not involved in the making of that paragraph, I'll have to check it, so let's start ;-)
I like the new wording, which shows that rights creates burden for users. This was much less present in the previous wording. Yet, I now miss the aspect that was (I suppose) aimed at not scaring data owners, and reckoned that there is a subtle balance to reach (between owners' and users' interests). I'll see what I can propose, later today...