First mention of RDF - IMPORTANT ISSUE

From: Tom Baker <tbaker@tbaker.de>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 16:21:48 -0400
To: public-xg-lld <public-xg-lld@w3.org>
A point that had escaped me when reading the sections separately and out of
sequential order: The first mention of RDF currently comes in the Benefits
section, where it is mentioned in a way that assumes it has been introduced
earlier.

Where to introduce RDF?  The logical place is in the Scope.  In Scope, we
currently cite the TimBL's principles [1], and those principles say that where
links are relationships anchors in hypertext documents written in HTML, for
data they are links between arbitrary things described by RDF (and further
down: "When someone looks up a URI, provide useful information, using the
standards (RDF, SPARQL)").  As in the diff [2], I propose:

    Linked Data uses Web addresses (URIs) as globally unique identifiers for
    dataset items, elements, and value concepts -- analogously to the library
    world's identifiers for authority control -- and provides data using
    standards such as the Resource Description Framework (RDF).

I hesitate between "such as the Resource Description Framework" and other
possible wordings, e.g., "based on" or the stronger "using RDF", but this could
potentially create confusion re: references to OWL.  It has been argued on our
lists that Linked Data does not require RDF, but we have grounded our usage in
[1] so I think it helps to make this clear.

Tom

[1] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/index.php?title=Scope&diff=6052&oldid=6048