W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xg-lld@w3.org > May 2011

Minutes of 2011-05-12 LLD meeting

From: William Waites <ww@styx.org>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 11:48:11 +0200
To: public-xg-lld@w3.org
Message-ID: <20110515094811.GC21910@styx.org>
Available at:

    http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/12-lld-minutes.html

Text version follows.

-----

                                LLD XG

12 May 2011

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011May/0031.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2011/05/12-lld-irc

Attendees

   Present
          emma, antoine, monica, tbaker, ww, jeff_, edsu, kefo,
          rsinger, GordonD, marcia, kai, dvila, jneubert, jodi, kcoyle

   Regrets
          Lars, Kim, Uldis, Peter, Michael, Ray

   Chair
          Emma

   Scribe
          William

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]ADMIN
     * [6]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

   <emma> Previous: 2001-05-05
   [7]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/05-lld-minut
   es.html

      [7] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/05-lld-minutes.html

   <emma> Scribe: William

   <tbaker> scribenick: ww

   <dvila> thanks antoine

ADMIN

   do we accept the minutes from previeous telecon?

   ACCEPTED

   schedule for upcoming teleconferences until end of august because we
   are in process of requesting extension 3 months

   emma: final report...
   ... idea of transitioning to community group
   ... conferences are every two weeks in july and august
   ... still waiting for approval from w3c for extension
   ... shouldn't be an issue
   ... just waiting for process to be completed...
   ... when it is will inform on mailing list
   ... questions?

   <kcoyle> having trouble with boston phone number: all circuits busy

   emma: suggest oto hand floor to harry to introduce concept of
   community groups
   ... explain how we can transition, what would be the interest and so
   on

   harry: what's going on is that people can ... w3c is doing one of
   the larger porocess changes in last 5 years or de cade

   <harry>
   [8]http://www.w3.org/QA/2011/04/coming_soon_w3c_community_grou.html

      [8] http://www.w3.org/QA/2011/04/coming_soon_w3c_community_grou.html

   harry: introduce more bottom up process called community groups or
   business groups
   ... quick overview...
   ... official details are linked from ... blog post
   ... is aproved by w3c management and advisory board

   <harry> [9]http://www.w3.org/2010/12/community/

      [9] http://www.w3.org/2010/12/community/

   harry: to give broad overview
   ... community groups are way for any kind of people w3c members or
   not, to use w3c resources to create draft standards

   <kcoyle> karen

   harry: based on feedback from incubator groups process
   ... IGs will be phased out
   ... all new groups will be WGs, business groups or community groups
   ... community groups will be made on show of support...
   ... run until they are finished,... no defined ending date
   ... working on standards and specs takes longer than you think
   ... most groups have had to ask for extensions

   <jodi> hmm...an "end date" has been quite helpful in focusing our
   work and justifying our scope

   harry: and often not sure how long it will take for specs to get
   adopted...
   ... general overarching process... interesting as well... keep work
   experimental until point where it is adopted enough that it is
   justified to adopt as standard
   ... launched sometime in june... a dozen community groups
   ... too early for your schedule...
   ... but then it is possible for any incubator group to transition
   into community group after charter expired
   ... community of interest groups optimised for
   individualparticipation

   <harry> [10]http://www.w3.org/2010/12/community/final

     [10] http://www.w3.org/2010/12/community/final

   harry: so what we've sort of done is taken open web license and
   modified so it can work with w3c license
   ... so what you have is license that allows individuals to do
   non-asserts
   ... and you have a clear path to non-royalty status
   ... make everyone in CG sign lightweight non-patent-assert and then
   spin into WG
   ... incubator groups and community groups expected to more or less
   run themselves
   ... business groups provide higher staff connection
   ... because more w3c resources, minor fee if no w3c member orgs
   involved
   ... w3c member becomes team contact
   ... so example of business group,,, oil and gas industry... want to
   make rdf vocab to model oil and gas...
   ... would like w3c staff help to do this...
   ... in crafting the vocabulary and helping put out information about
   it
   ... that is the difference...
   ... community groups have no staff connectivity...
   ... business groups have more staff connectivity
   ... working groups have the most...
   ... any questions on community groups?
   ... expectation is when group is finished... would mail harry or dan
   ... coralie
   ... and we would set up infrastructure for it
   ... and ask that a new scoping statement drawn up by group
   ... scoping statement would be charter as CG

   tbaker: i wanted to clarify...
   ... first of all maybe you could just define what a non-assert is
   ... but wanted to clarify....
   ... if i understand correctly... the purpose of this new way of
   doing things is making it easy for individuals to participate...
   ... but when i look at the community final agreement it looks like
   an individual is being asked to say they can sign on behalf of their
   employer...
   ... so i wanted to clarify to what extent they are taken as
   individuals or representing their employers

   harry: so actually two questions. are they representing their
   employers?
   ... and what is the legal bounds.?
   ... if employer is w3c member, obviously you should keep your
   representative aware
   ... if you are not a member...
   ... if royalty free agreement... can as a company verify and agree
   nto be bound not to assert patents rights... legally binding way...
   agree not to ask for any sort of warranties by implementors of the
   specs
   ... actually pretty strong...
   ... often means getting out the patent lawyers
   ... which can take years
   ... as an individual... certify that not any patents in the spec

   tbaker: looking at doc, "i certify that i authorised on behalf of
   organisation below..." "commitments of that organisation"
   ... is pretty strong

   <edsu> tbaker++

   harry: individuals may sign pretending to sign as individuals... but
   could be problem in patent-heavy space... so agree on behalf of
   employer
   ... this specification quite short compared to royalty free ...
   ... if you have more detailed questions, would have to refer to w3c
   legal staff for point by point
   ... if you form ig, don't have to sign until decide to push spec
   forward

   tbaker: i see this as potential issue...
   ... i think ... sometimes people participate in WGs ... more than
   their employers realise
   ... because they are committe to whatever it s...
   ... i have a slight concern that people will hesitate when they see
   this...\
   ... sgo up the line, get management involved, starts getting more
   coomplicated

   harry: if someone contributing whose management would not improve,
   to avoid patent problems...

   <jodi> As digital library grows into CS territory, there certainly
   is potential for patent issues, IMO.

   <jodi> less than elsewhere, of course!

   harry: would be best to participate ... not contribute text... even
   if they did... no diffference between IG process if something you
   think would go into a working draft, you'd have the same problem
   ... what this allows you to do is bulletproof yourself as early as
   possible and give w3c higher assurances that things that come out of
   WG can be a spec
   ... shouldn't be a showstopper but will forward to legall team and
   ask for clarification

   antoine: my question was about scope of different groups, CGs vs.
   BGs... is there a formal criterion that would classify into one or
   the other category...
   ... my feeling is that library or wider cultural heritage group is
   not so focused in some field of technology... looks a bit like a
   business litmus test?...

   harry: ultimately the only difference is staff connectivity...
   ... so that's the litmus test about what is legally enforced as
   regards to staff time
   ... reason why some groups wanted more staff time... outreach and
   help with specs
   ... BGs aimed at business verticals...
   ... more of an internal question of how much connectivity you want
   to staff
   ... more about fitting your neeeds than fitting a particular kind of
   scoping
   ... exact same, real difference staff connectivity
   ... if you wanted to transition you could transition to either

   antoine: is it possible to transition frmo one to the other... if we
   start as CG and then think we need more W3C staff...

   <emma> Comparison table of W3C groups :
   [11]http://www.w3.org/2010/12/community/#comparison

     [11] http://www.w3.org/2010/12/community/#comparison

   harry: we believe that probably will be the case, but haven't had
   anybody do that yet... haven't launched them yet
   ... whole point of process is less constraints...
   ... but don't want to lose the energy

   <GordonD> Gordon just joined

   harry: there will be a community council so that the chairs of CGs
   will have more regular meetings with W3C staff to check in on a
   regular basis
   ... to clarify, the w3c does not want ... what we're going to do to
   prevent that is to have regular meetings with chairs...
   ... regular meetings to make sure groups are akien care of

   <Zakim> emma, you wanted to ask about non member institutions

   harry: people complaining that the charter system is hard,
   open-ended and experimental

   emma: relatedly... question to confirm that CG seems to be suited to
   working for a community where lot of institutions that are not W3C
   members

   <jodi> +1 to involvement without having to be W3C members or
   register as invited experts!

   emma: lot of smaller institutions aren't able to become members...
   common in cultural heritage... CG very relevant for our community

   <GordonD> +1

   <edsu> jodi: concur

   <dvila> +1

   harry: practical level... more or less open to individual and
   non-member orgs from the beginning
   ... make more suited to your community

   <antoine> +1

   harry: with BG don't ask that every member pays a fee, just that
   enough tho pay for staff time, then everyone else in for free

   emma: i see our participants are very happy about it

   edsu: hi... i was ... i guess... just as a context for ... following
   on from tom's question

   <antoine> but even the business group "funding" scheme could work
   for us as well

   edsu: it would be very difficult for me to sign anything as an LOC
   employee with out getting the legal department involved

   <emma> +1, edsu !

   edsu: not patent lawyers... but still a barrier... i could get
   through it but it would take some time... so to say it is not a
   barrier.. i think lot of people in similar situation
   ... you mentioned 12 to start in june, curious who they are, some
   examples?
   ... also... that and BGs get extra staffing, can you provide
   examples of what services staff would provide

   harry: in order, not saying not a barrier, saying it is less than
   signing full royalty-free agreement
   ... large companies like yahoo won't sign such a thing
   ... these are lighter weight... have assurances they may sign...
   ... for people like you, i would assume you could probably get by
   without signing, just have to be careful... responsibility of group
   to make sure patents don't slip in for future spec
   ... if you become WG you have to put something you want to put as a
   spec... by the time you make that suggestion you need to have all
   contribuors to spec to have signed agreement
   ... so not barrier to joining the group...
   ... don't want situation where CG makes a spec and no patent license
   involved and spec sneaks through
   ... if you have concerns W3cC legal to help clarify

   edsu: concerned it would be a barrier... legal people need to talk
   to legal people, that's a barrier

   harry: same point... depends on what group is doing...
   ... overvi
4792   295  4792 14137    0     0  10124      0 --:--:--  0:00:01 --:--:-- 20577ew report? wouldn't require patent non-asserts
   ... if vocabulary? if you feel vocab can be used by libraries need
   to make sure no patents

   <jodi> +1 to clarity

   edsu: needs to be clear what someone has to do to be involved in
   community
   ... needs to be clearer than it is now

   harry: if produces spec... will have to sign... to become WD

   edsu: when they want to push it forward that's when they woul have
   to sign...

   harry: give patent lawyers years to go through patents...
   ... strong commitment helps companies like ibm relax a bit...
   ... to go back to other point...
   ... launching open digital rights, micropayments, html5... federated
   social web... usdl
   ... wide variety

   <tbaker> Harry: When a spec produced by the Community becomes a
   candidate for getting W3C status -- that is the point at which
   non-asserts need to be assigned. (My interpretation.)

   harry: was your final point?

   edsu: staffing, what services w3c would provide to BGs?

   harry: staffing ... would essentially deal with ability of groups to
   do large amounts of outreach
   ... e.g. w3c maintains giant database of industry... if you want
   everybody to use your spec... want to make sure all the players are
   at the table...
   ... requires busdev...
   ... another example is liason... would like work to be part of
   gameplan for rdf stack or html5 stack or etc... requires a lot of
   work for w3c staff to integrate your group
   ... final is industry verticals... lots of healthcare lifesciences
   wanting to e.g. produce owl version of snomed, not owl experts and
   want to make sure it stays consistent woth owl... requires staff to
   do homework and make sure it fits... lot of time commitment
   ... a bit different for each group... maybe at some point this might
   come up...

   <jodi> avoiding getting "silo'd" by being a non-profit interest vs.
   business interest is important going forward

   edsu: difference between a BG and a WG

   <jodi> to avoid the sorts of divergence the library has had from IT
   best practices in the past decades

   harry: WG has devoted staff time. s.t. if you are a W3C employee
   some percentage of your time is devoted to shepherding that work
   through the W3cC process
   ... with BG smaller amount of time
   ... with BG very much more ad-hoc... we want to push vocab out, then
   get staff to help

   <emma> @jodi I don't think it's the case here, the difference is not
   about being non-profit, but about the amount of work the group is
   asking from W3C

   <edsu> sorry to monopolize time :(

   harry: with some BG may require every telecon... but that might mean
   rejigging of the fee...

   <jodi> emma: I understand. My worry is that less staff attention NOT
   be less attention from people following the IT state of the art

   <jodi> edsu: thanks for asking good questions for all of us! not
   monopolizing IMO! :)

   harry: need to sit down with management and figure out what staff
   time is involved. less than a WG more than 0.
   ... some CG say, really could have used some help... now if they do
   help, they are doing it as an individual basis not as their job...

   <emma> @jodi do you think that's the case re: the XG ?

   <tbaker> @edsu, you are tasking good questions

   harry: we want if certain key points come up for group, BG wants
   staff to devote some time to it...

   emma: any other questions

   <jodi> congrats harry! :)

   harry: the key is you guys will be the first group to transition
   after initial transition period
   ... might be few bumps because nobody's done it before

   harry: email us, with some notice... and we'll work it out... that
   would be good... and we do want to see final report done

   <antoine> thanks, harry!

   <tbaker> Harry: Ideally inform of intent to transition at least one
   month before (extended) end of charter.

   harry: that would be great

   <edsu> harry++ # thanks!

   <tbaker> thank you, harry!

   <dvila> thank you harry!

   emma: thank you, we will continue to discuss and send questions

   harry: .we'll be in bilbao may take a bit of time...

   everyone: thank you

   emma: few minutes more... think it's interesting to transition to CG
   ... invited harry because seems to be straightforward process to
   transition from IG to CG
   ... IGs won't exist any more
   ... just extend charter... gives us some some time to think about it
   ... you guys what do you think, is it relevant

   kcoyle: this is complicated. i feel that we are today as an IG is
   ...
   ... individuals and i don't know to what extent people feel they are
   representing their organistation
   ... if we become a CG we have to have a closer connection to library
   community

   <jodi> kcoyle: do you mean that the W3C isn't close enough to the
   library world?

   kcoyle: how does the w3c library community group interact with
   library community?

   emma: probably added value of new group would be to create a
   community taht would go beyond libraries and include archives and
   museums...

   <dvila> +1 to add archives and museums

   <GordonD> +1 for a, l, m community group

   emma: maybe there are other organisations that can make that
   bridge...
   ... w3c has web focus, linked data but web in general that's why
   interesting to have CG within W3C

   kcoyle: been an interesting group
   ... concern is library community already has foci...
   ... places where its community interacts
   ... so how does this interact with those?
   ... how do we integrate these activities with ongoing ones

   emma: key question for community

   edsu: i think that's a good question to ask
   ... came to mind was this report that harry is interested in seeing
   ... when it gets published ... for this IG to communicate
   outwards... to other foci...
   ... communities of people that go to these things... maybe it pops
   up on their radar...
   ... people in this IG are active in other communities...
   ... area where we could bridge different communities and do a bit
   more cross-pollination
   ... emma was saying libraries and museums and archives could share a
   bit more with a web focus
   ... it could work
   ... i'm glad tom brought up what he did
   ... depending how they spin the legal side of it it could be
   difficult
   ... not just for me but for anybody i imagine that has to sign
   something that says they're speaking for their institution

   emma: actually you as LOC are more representing your institution
   than an invited expert

   edsu: i guess you're right... but idea of these CGs are to lower the
   bar for non-member
   ... kcoyle would it be harder for you?

   kcoyle: not for me but i could see that it would be for members of
   larger institutions that aren't members already

   edsu: nice thing about w3c members is that it's already done... but
   people who aren't members... going to have to ... go through the
   legal process...
   ... to just participate...

   <edsu> +1 to that

   kcoyle: another comment i have is if we move to a CG where we might
   actually be a development.. .then we have to get more library
   vendors involved

   <dvila> good point

   <jodi> +1 for involving library vendors

   edsu: easier for them... wouldn't have to commit to being memebers

   <edsu> scribenick: edsu

   ww: it seems like signing these things towards the end of a
   lifecycle of a bit of work, isn't that a bit dangerous...if a a
   business tries to sneak some stuff into some work and then decides
   not to sign

   kcoyle: it does happen

   <ww> kcoyle: something having to do with ebooks...

   <scribe> scribenick: ww

   <antoine> maybe worth forwarding that point to W3C!

   <edsu> antoine: agreed

   emma: anyone wanting to make another comment? if not... suggestion
   would be those of you who are attending the LODLAM summit in june
   maybe you can discuss this with opeople at summit an at other
   institutions...
   ... probably we need other people joining if we want to be a CG

   antoine: just a quick not... karen and william's point
   interesting... maybe send an email... would not expect this 
7627   295  7627 22502    0     0  14922      0 --:--:--  0:00:01 --:--:-- 28197
to
   happen but maybe it could be interesting

   emma: other business?

   tbaker: suggest that on next call we want to assign reviewers for
   various sections
   ... antuo emma you agree with that? if you do that it would be good
   if groups working on particular sections could get them into a shape
   where they could go out for review...
   ... not final shape, im sure we'll have additional discussion,
   that's why we are extending the charter... but in shape where we
   could assign reviewers next week

   <kai> sorry, have to leave timely. bye :-)

   <scribe> ACTION: section owners try to be ready for reviewers next
   week [recorded in
   [12]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/12-lld-minu
   tes.html#action01]

   <scribe> ACTION: chairs to send an email on the list to ask people
   to be ready [recorded in
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/12-lld-minu
   tes.html#action02]

   antoine: if something is ready before, circulate on list
   ... kim asks that when we are ready we send him an email

   emma: thank you everyone

   <antoine> s/send an a email/chairs to send an email

   <dvila> thank you everyone

   <jodi> tbaker: yup

   <GordonD> Tom: we do

   AJDOURNED

   <jneubert> bye

   <jodi> tbaker: be back in 2 min

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: section owners try to be ready for reviewers next week
   [recorded in
   [14]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/12-lld-minu
   tes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: chairs to send an email on the list to ask people to
   be ready [recorded in
   [15]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/12-lld-minu
   tes.html#action02]

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [16]scribe.perl version 1.136
    ([17]CVS log)
    $Date: 2011/05/14 15:39:18 $

     [16] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [17] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Sunday, 15 May 2011 09:48:37 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Sunday, 15 May 2011 09:48:37 GMT