Audiences

From: ZENG, MARCIA <mzeng@kent.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 11:32:35 -0500
To: public-xg-lld <public-xg-lld@w3.org>, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>
Karen and all,
Thought this might be useful. It was from the recent 'Making the Case' session [1] of OntologySummit2011 where Peter Yim identified the following
audiences for the Open Ontology Repository group's messages to be delivered:

(i) policy makers, (ii) budget holders, (iii) Technology Decision Makers
(CIOs and Architects), (iv) Implementers (engineers and developers), (v)
users/consumers of the technology, and (vi) educators

Maybe they are identified at a different level, but they could be helpful for us.

In the Open Bibliographic Data Principles you shared yesterday, I think the beginning statement is very good:

"Producers of bibliographic data such as libraries, publishers, universities, scholars or social reference management communities have an important role in supporting the advance of humanity's knowledge."

My suggestion to this statement is to widen the 'libraries' part to include information centers.  I found the following description of is also helpful (still not inclusive enough):
"the library and information science (LIS) community, which is inclusive of museums, archives, and other cultural institutions." [3]

What I have in mind are three examples of the open bibliographic data contributors that may be beyond regular libraries: The National Science Digital Library (U.S.) [4] , the Virtual Open Access Agriculture & Aquaculture Repository (in progress), [5] and AGRIS of FAO [6]

My two cents.
Marcia

[1] http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2011_02_24
[2] http://openbiblio.net/principles/