W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xg-lld@w3.org > June 2011

Minutes of 2011-06-30 LLD meeting

From: Peter Murray <peter.murray@lyrasis.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 13:42:39 -0400
To: "public-xg-lld@w3.org" <public-xg-lld@w3.org>
Message-ID: <D565157F-ED06-49E4-872F-06D2A62A214D@lyrasis.org>
Colleagues --

The minutes of our call today are at http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html


A text version follows the signature.

-- 
Peter Murray         Peter.Murray@lyrasis.org        tel:+1-678-235-2955                 
Ass't Director, Technology Services Development   http://dltj.org/about/

LYRASIS   --    Great Libraries. Strong Communities. Innovative Answers.
The Disruptive Library Technology Jester                http://dltj.org/ 
Attrib-Noncomm-Share   http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/ 

===

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/


                                LLD XG

30 Jun 2011

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jun/0115.html


   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-irc


Attendees

   Present
          antoine, emma, ww, jodi, jeff__, AlexanderH, monica, pmurray,
          kcoyle, marcia

   Regrets
          Michael, Uldis, Gordon, Daniel, Lars, Ray

   Chair
          Emma

   Scribe
          Peter

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Admin
         2. [6]Final Report
         3. [7]W3C Community Group
         4. [8]Short report from ALA
     * [9]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

   <emma> Previous: 2011-06-23
   [10]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/23-lld-minu

   tes.html

     [10] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/23-lld-minutes.html


Admin

   RESOLUTION: Accept minutes of previous telecon
   [11]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/23-lld-minu

   tes.html

     [11] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/23-lld-minutes.html


   emma:Reminder. Conference calls every other week during the summer.

Final Report

   <emma> [12]http://blogs.ukoln.ac.uk/w3clld/


     [12] http://blogs.ukoln.ac.uk/w3clld/


   emma:We have the blog up and running
   ... some technical issues with the digres.it plugin. Blank pages
   when trying to access the blog.
   ... it seems to be okay when you refresh the page a few times.
   Waiting for the UKOLN colleagues to try to resolve the problem.

   <kcoyle> yes, i got in just now w/o problems

   monica:No further updates at this time.

   <jodi> thanks for hosting the blog, and for following up on it! :)

   <jodi> thanks! :)

   monica:Regarding whether to keep the blog. UKOLN is an organization
   committed to keeping links active, so in spirit the organization
   will treat the blog like any other resource that they don't want to
   see disappear.

   <pmurray> We can also look into turning the blog into static HTML
   pages.

   antoine:We already have comments, and they seem focused on one
   heading or one paragraph, so the digres.it plugin is useful for
   capturing this.

   <jodi> it's nice to have paragraph-level comments

   <jodi> it's useful to start the discussion!

   kcoyle:Making comments to start the discussion so the blog doesn't
   look like an intimidating place.

   <monica> agree - karen opening discussion will help to seed it

   <antoine> +1

   <ww> +1

   ww:Turning it into static HTML pages is a good idea so one doesn't
   need the complicated machinery behind it.

   <antoine> +1

   emma:Reminder to send the call for public comments out to lists and
   mark it on the Dissemination_Lists wiki pages.

   <emma>
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Dissemination_Lists


     [13] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Dissemination_Lists


   <antoine> @ww: you've sent the call on openbiblio, I think?

   <ww> antoine: yes

   <emma>
   [14]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jun/0080.h

   tml

     [14] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jun/0080.html


   <antoine> @ww: ok! I'll mark it on the wiki

   <scribe> ACTION:Monica to send email to ask for more volunteers
   otherwise we will continue on our own [recorded in
   [15]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/23-lld-minutes.html#action02] [DONE]
   [16]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jun/0080.h

   tml

     [15] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/23-lld-minutes.html#action02

     [16] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jun/0080.html


   <scribe> ACTION:Jeff to keep track of further comments between June
   24 and June 30 [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/23-lld-minutes.html#action08] [DONE]

     [17] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/23-lld-minutes.html#action08


   <marcia> I sent to three I signed up.

   <antoine> @marcia: thx! wiki is updated

   <jodi> no, I'm not

   emma/monica: When someone posts to the list for the first time, they
   must be approved.

   monica:subsequent comments from that individual do not go into the
   moderation queue.

   <marcia> @antoine: I wonder if we are supposed to not touch the
   deliverable version in order to get the comments.

   <ww> antoine: which wiki page? i've circulated it elsewhere as well

   <antoine> @ww:
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Dissemination_Lists


     [18] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Dissemination_Lists


   <antoine> no

   <antoine> everything is alright, just trying to keep track of where
   the call was sent

   <scribe> ACTION: Antoine to keep track and answer comments until
   today [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2011/06/23-lld-minutes.html#action07] [DONE]

   <scribe> ACTION:Monica to keep track of comments between July 1 and
   July 8 [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/23-lld-minutes.html#action03]
   [CONTINUES]

     [19] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/23-lld-minutes.html#action03


   <emma>
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/DraftReportReviewerAss

   ignments

     [20] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/DraftReportReviewerAssignments


   <jeff__>
   [21]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/index.php?title=DraftR

   eportReviewerAssignments&diff=5199&oldid=5169

     [21] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/index.php?title=DraftReportReviewerAssignments&diff=5199&oldid=5169


   <antoine> good idea to share that, jeff!

   <kcoyle> i can do that

   <jeff__> I can take the week after again

   <scribe> ACTION:Karen Coyle to keep track of comments on the mailing
   list between July 8 and July 15 [recorded in
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action04]

     [22] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action04


   <scribe> ACTION:Jeff to keep track of comments on the mailing list
   between July 15 and July 22 [recorded in
   [23]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action05]

     [23] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action05


   emma:Comments on the reviews that we have received so far?

   <jodi> it might be good to have fresh energy on that, along with the
   original folks...

   <Zakim> antoine, you wanted to comment on reacting

   <ww> tangent: anyone from #lld at okcon?

   antoine:It would be good to discuss comments during a telecon so we
   don't lose momentum.

   jeff:Tried to integrate the comments that didn't require too much
   restructuring.
   ... reluctant to do restructuring without help from others.

   antoine:Agree with jeff that we should be conservative. Any comment
   that can be addressed by changing one word or sentence should be
   made.

   emma:Maybe the easiest way to go is to ask authors of each section
   to keep an eye for comments on their section and for controversial
   topics ask the chair to schedule it for a conference call.

   <jeff__> +1

   <kcoyle> +1

   <antoine> +1

   <marcia> +1

   <scribe> ACTION:Editors of each section should watch for substantial
   comments to their section [recorded in
   [24]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action06]

     [24] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action06


   <antoine> :-)

   <kcoyle> +1 for magic, or things indistinguishable from...

   emma:On the next call, ask the authors of each section to report on
   substantive comments

   <monica> to include comments on blog as well?

W3C Community Group

   emma:There has been some activity in the W3C on this.
   ... They have created a discussion list and web page on which we can
   see the different community groups. They are testing it with a few
   incubator groups that are transitioning to community groups.
   ... They are using a web page with a wordpress blog and several
   discussion lists.
   ... We have stated our desire to transition to a community group at
   the end of our charter.
   ... We need to discuss this in July to decide whether we want to
   make that transition or to go another way.

   <ww> +1 to cg transition, :)

   <jodi> yeah kcoyle & charper! :)

   kcoyle:As of last week, the American Library Association has an
   official library linked data group.
   ... Would be interest to see how we can combine groups and connect
   groups.

   <antoine> karen, can you say more on the ALA group? missions,
   activities

   kcoyle:Need to see how we make this a broad communication.
   ... It is a LLD interest group that is affiliated with the technical
   services (ALCTS, e.g. cataloging) division and the information
   technology group (LITA).

   <jodi> wow!

   kcoyle:this group could promote training.
   ... the group came up with a couple of tasks during the meeting:
   gathering use cases in the community, developing training and how to
   get information out to the rest of the library community, and a
   couple of other things. (Karen to follow up when she gets access to
   the wiki)

   ww:Sounds nice, but to what extent will it be seen as an american
   thing. the global scope is one of the nice things about the w3c.

   kcoyle:it is a way to pull other interested U.S. parties into the
   discussion. Hopes other groups would form elsewhere so there is a
   local venue to meet.

   emma:So the W3C group could be across the various local/national
   groups?

   kcoyle:Yes, because local is where people are connecting
   face-to-face, so connecting to a international forum would be a good
   thing.

   antoine:It also allows the international group to hear what is
   happening elsewhere.
   ... it could be that the IPR stuff and other things may raise issues
   when we include things from other groups.

   ww:This also came up with the BibTeX in JSON group. There are some
   that are not convinced about RDF. Is it appropriate to bring that
   kind of work into the LLD fold if we were to become a community
   group?

   <antoine> ALA?

   <antoine> (other than Karen's group ;-) )

Short report from ALA

   kcoyle:More than a dozen meetings about linked data, while in the
   past there had been none.
   ... there was quite a bit of talk of because RDA coming along and
   because Library of Congress looking for a replacement for MARC,
   there was a lot of discussion about what the next data standard
   would be.

   <jodi> that's amazing!

   <antoine> +1

   kcoyle:it was an entirely different viewpoint from six months ago.

   pmurray:I agree. I saw the same thing

   kcoyle:It was mainly talking about what was happening in the future.
   There was a great acceptance that there was going to be a major
   change.
   ... kcoyle's hope that it will give a kind of "official blessing" on
   this change coming from a well-respected organization and that it
   will become a leverage point for people to get funding for projects.

   kcoyle:also talked with vendors and will be sending the call for
   review to some of the companies to make sure we get their comments.

   <antoine> karen++

   <jeff__> karen++

   <jodi> bye!

   [adjourned]

   <ww> thanks! bye

   <AlexanderH> thx

   <marcia> Nice to participate 'on line'. Thanks

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION:Editors of each section should watch for substantial
   comments to their section [recorded in
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action06]
   [NEW] ACTION:Jeff to keep track of comments on the mailing list
   between July 15 and July 22 [recorded in
   [26]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action05]
   [NEW] ACTION:Karen Coyle to keep track of comments on the mailing
   list between July 8 and July 15 [recorded in
   [27]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action04]

     [25] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action06

     [26] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action05

     [27] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action04


   [PENDING] ACTION:Monica to keep track of comments between July 1 and
   July 8 [recorded in
   [28]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/23-lld-minutes.html#action03]

     [28] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/23-lld-minutes.html#action03


   [DONE] ACTION:Monica to send email to ask for more volunteers
   otherwise we will continue on our own [recorded in
   [29]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/23-lld-minutes.html#action02]
   [DONE] ACTION: Antoine to keep track and answer comments until today
   [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/06/23-lld-minutes.html#action07]
   [DONE] ACTION:Jeff to keep track of further comments between June 24
   and June 30 [recorded in
   [30]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/23-lld-minutes.html#action08]

     [29] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/23-lld-minutes.html#action02

     [30] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/23-lld-minutes.html#action08


   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [31]scribe.perlversion 1.136 (
    [32]CVS log)
    $Date: 2011/06/30 17:06:36 $

     [31] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm

     [32] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/


Received on Thursday, 30 June 2011 17:43:09 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 30 June 2011 17:43:10 GMT