W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xg-lld@w3.org > July 2011

Minutes of 2011-07-21 LLD meeting

From: Young,Jeff (OR) <jyoung@oclc.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 14:55:43 -0400
Message-ID: <52E301F960B30049ADEFBCCF1CCAEF590D37685A@OAEXCH4SERVER.oa.oclc.org>
To: "public-xg-lld" <public-xg-lld@w3.org>
Hi everyone,

 

The minutes of our call today are at
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/21-lld-minutes.html

 

A text version follows.

 

Jeff

 

===========

 

   [1]W3C

 

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

 

                                LLD XG

 

21 Jul 2011

 

   [2]Agenda

 

      [2]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jul/0028.html

 

   See also: [3]IRC log

 

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2011/07/21-lld-irc

 

Attendees

 

   Present

          antoine, pmurray, tbaker, kcoyle, AlexanderH, jeff_, marcia,

          GordonD, digikim_, michaelp

 

   Regrets

          Jodi, Monica, Uldis, Joachim, Kevin

 

   Chair

          Antoine

 

   Scribe

          Jeff

 

Contents

 

     * [4]Topics

         1. [5]ADMIN

         2. [6]FINAL REPORT

         3. [7]EXECUTIVE SUMMARY (tbd)

         4. [8]"LIBRARY LINKED DATA": SCOPE OF THIS REPORT (Karen,

            Peter, Tom, Gordon, Jodi)

         5. [9]BENEFITS OF LINKED DATA (Ed, Emmanuelle, Ross)

         6. [10]AVAILABLE VOCABULARIES AND DATASETS (Antoine, Jeff,

            Marcia, William)

         7. [11]RELEVANT TECHNOLOGIES (Jeff)

         8. [12]IMPLEMENTATION CHALLENGES AND BARRIERS TO ADOPTION

            (Karen, Peter, Tom, Gordon, Jodi)

         9. [13]RECOMMENDATIONS AND NEXT STEPS (Karen, Peter, Tom,

            Gordon, Jodi)

        10. [14]LIBRARY LINKED DATA: VOCABULARIES AND DATASETS -

            SEPARATE DELIVERABLE (Antoine, Jeff, Marcia, William)

        11. [15]USE CASES (Daniel) - SEPARATE DELIVERABLE

     * [16]Summary of Action Items

     _________________________________________________________

 

   <antoine> Previous: 2011-07-07

   [17]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minu

   tes.html

 

     [17]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html

 

   <antoine> Scribe: Jeff

 

   <antoine> Scribenick: jeff_

 

ADMIN

 

   RESOLUTION: accept minutes from last call

 

   No telecon next week, but the ones left are important

 

FINAL REPORT

 

   The blog is up and some comments are coming in

 

   Keeping track of commentary/reviews at

   [18]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/DraftReportReviewerAss

   ignments

 

     [18]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/DraftReportReviewerAssignments

 

   Need a new volunteer to track late coming comments.

 

   Daniel is scheduled for the coming week.

 

   <Zakim> tbaker, you wanted to ask if Daniel cannot do it?

 

   <scribe> ACTION: Karen Coyle to keep track of comments on the

   mailing list between July 8 and July 15 [recorded in

   [19]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action04] [DONE]

 

     [19] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action04

 

   <scribe> ACTION: Jeff to keep track of comments on the mailing list

   between July 15 and July 22 [recorded in

   [20]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action05] [DONE]

 

     [20] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action05

 

   <scribe> ACTION: Editors of each section should watch for

   substantial comments to their section [recorded in

   [21]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action06]

   [CONTINUES]

 

     [21] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action06

 

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY (tbd)

 

   <scribe> ACTION: chairs to send email to list asking for volunteers

   to write the executive summary [recorded in

   [22]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minu

   tes.html#action08] [DONE]

 

     [22]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html
#action08

 

   <GordonD> I will volunteer to help Karen

 

   <GordonD> +1 for the three of us on a telecon ...

 

   <GordonD> +1 makes four

 

   <scribe> ACTION: Karen, Tom, Michael, and Gordon to write the

   executive summary due in two weeks. [recorded in

   [23]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/21-lld-minu

   tes.html#action05]

 

   [24]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/ExecutiveSummary

 

     [24] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/ExecutiveSummary

 

   karen: I imagine 1 to 1 1/2 page for the executive summary would be

   sufficient.

 

   Tom: Agreed, with more or less as we feel it is needed.

 

   <antoine>

   [25]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jul/0022.h

   tml

 

     [25]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jul/0022.html

 

"LIBRARY LINKED DATA": SCOPE OF THIS REPORT (Karen, Peter, Tom, Gordon,

Jodi)

 

   <scribe> ACTION: Karen and Emma to write a sentence adding cultural

   and memory institutions together in some way [recorded in

   [26]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minu

   tes.html#action03] [CONTINUES]

 

     [26]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html
#action03

 

BENEFITS OF LINKED DATA (Ed, Emmanuelle, Ross)

 

   Any issues to report?

 

   No comments.

 

AVAILABLE VOCABULARIES AND DATASETS (Antoine, Jeff, Marcia, William)

 

   Antoine: started to address 1st set of comments and confident the

   issues can be integrated.

 

RELEVANT TECHNOLOGIES (Jeff)

 

   <GordonD> Action on Gordon is now done

 

   <scribe> ACTION: Gordon to review Relevant Technologies [recorded in

   [27]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/09-lld-minu

   tes.html#action04] [DONE]

 

     [27]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/09-lld-minutes.html
#action04

 

   <antoine>

   [28]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jul/0029.h

   tml

 

     [28]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jul/0029.html

 

   <Zakim> tbaker, you wanted to ask about PIDs as raised by Juha

 

   <antoine> Alexander: need to ack that a URN is a URI

 

   Tom: Juha commented on reference to Cool URIs vs. other forms of

   persistent URIs. Deserves some more subtle wording to accommodate

   URNs.

 

   <antoine> Jeff: Agreed. I 'll work on it

 

   <antoine> ... Gordon also commented on this.

 

   <Zakim> tbaker, you wanted to point Jeff to

   [29]http://metadaten-twr.org/2010/10/13/persistent-identifiers-an-ov

   erview/

 

     [29]
http://metadaten-twr.org/2010/10/13/persistent-identifiers-an-overview/

 

   Alex: need to accommodate URNs better.

 

   Tom: we need to acknowledge other URI schemes

   ... best practice is still evolving.

   ... Need to point to larger discussion.

 

   <digikim_> +1

 

   <antoine> Alex: anyone tried URN in SPARQL?

 

   <marcia> There was a circulated reference link yesterday: What Do

   URIs Mean Anyway? [30]http://www.jenitennison.com/blog/node/159

 

     [30] http://www.jenitennison.com/blog/node/159

 

   <antoine> Jeff: id.loc.gov has owl:sameAs to info:URIs.

 

   <antoine> ... they're not resolvable

 

   <antoine> .. ideally using owl:sameAs you would link URNs to

   resolvable URIS

 

   <antoine> (Antoine remembers having done something like that with

   ARK ids)

 

   <tbaker> Juha's comments are at

   [31]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lld/2011Jun/0012.html

 

     [31]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lld/2011Jun/0012.html

 

   <GordonD> It might be useful to add something about sameAs linking

   between resolvable and unresolvable IDs in the relevant technologies

   section? Or is this an Issue requiring a Recommendation?

 

   <antoine> Jeff: In the early days, it wasn't clear if http URIs

   should be used to identify things that aren't "located" one the Web.

   That uncertainty was the basis for inventing some new URI schemes

   like URNs and "info" URIs. These ambiguities and uncertainties were

   eventually resolved by [32]http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3305 and

   [33]httpRange-14. Now that the concern is resolved, we could

   recommend using owl:sameAs to map these non-resolvable URI schemes

   to http URIs. Even if this mapping isn't done, the non-resolvable

   URIs are still useful in RDF and SPARQL.

 

     [32] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3305

     [33] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2005Jun/0039.html

 

   <AlexanderH> +1 gordon

 

   <antoine> Jeff: it's worth mentioning

 

   <antoine> Tom: not elevating to recommendation

 

   <antoine> Jeff And Tom: we agree

 

   <scribe> ACTION: Jeff to integrate more refined view of

   non-resolvable URIs and linking. [recorded in

   [34]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/21-lld-minu

   tes.html#action08]

 

   Jeff will review blog entries for reusable statements.

 

   <antoine> gordon: main issue is mixing different levels

 

   <antoine> Jeff: all feedback helps

 

   <scribe> ACTION: everybody to scrutinize the relevant technologies

   to solve the issue of mixing different levels [recorded in

   [35]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/21-lld-minu

   tes.html#action09]

 

IMPLEMENTATION CHALLENGES AND BARRIERS TO ADOPTION (Karen, Peter, Tom,

Gordon, Jodi)

 

   <scribe> ACTION: Karen will convene issues and recommendations group

   to identify things that need to be discussed with larger group for

   July 21 meeting [recorded in

   [36]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minu

   tes.html#action04] [CONTINUES]

 

     [36]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html
#action04

 

   <scribe> ACTION: Karen and Antoine to relate Library Data Resources

   and Library Standards and Linked data [recorded in

   [37]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/16-lld-minutes.html#action12]

   [CONTINUES]

 

     [37] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/16-lld-minutes.html#action12

 

   Karen: these two sections were put together as background. They stay

   in the wiki, but can be used as a checklist for the report section.

   ... the blog appears to be broken in a new way.

 

   <pmurray> Oh, that is odd.

 

   Tom: It looks like a temporary issue.

 

   Karen: Comments are coming into the blog and will be processed.

   ... The comments so far haven't been radical and can probably be

   integrated.

 

   Antoine: the comments don't appear to be spam

 

RECOMMENDATIONS AND NEXT STEPS (Karen, Peter, Tom, Gordon, Jodi)

 

   <scribe> ACTION: Tom to ask Dickson and Guenther if they could

   contribute curriculum issues to the Recommendations Section

   [recorded in

   [38]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minu

   tes.html#action13] [DONE]

 

     [38]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minutes.html
#action13

 

LIBRARY LINKED DATA: VOCABULARIES AND DATASETS - SEPARATE DELIVERABLE

(Antoine, Jeff, Marcia, William)

 

   Antoine: not much to say. Other comments?

 

USE CASES (Daniel) - SEPARATE DELIVERABLE

 

   <scribe> ACTION: Emma to review use cases and make comments

   [recorded in

   [39]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minu

   tes.html#action07] [CONTINUES]

 

     [39]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html
#action07

 

   Comments?

 

   Any other business?

 

   <antoine>

   [40]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jul/0021.h

   tml

 

     [40]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jul/0021.html

 

   <antoine>

   [41]http://www.slideshare.net/TalisConsulting/linked-data-workshop-s

   tanford-university

 

     [41]
http://www.slideshare.net/TalisConsulting/linked-data-workshop-stanford-
university

 

   Antoine: Presentation on Linked Data at Stanford that has overlap

   with our group.

   ... Would be nice if our report related to theirs

   ... Was anyone on the call involved and able to comment?

   ... [No response]

 

   <kcoyle>

   [42]http://inkdroid.org/journal/2011/07/14/stanford-linked-data-meet

   ing-notes-an-incidental-manifesto/

 

     [42]
http://inkdroid.org/journal/2011/07/14/stanford-linked-data-meeting-note
s-an-incidental-manifesto/

 

   <kcoyle> edsu's notes

 

   We should discuss their report later and find ways to relate parts

   to our document.

 

   <digikim_> Thanks to everybody. I will be taking my Summer vacation

   in August, so this was unfortunately the final call for me. I will

   be looking forward on what reactions the report gets when it is

   finalized and published. :)

 

   Antoine: Thanks for contributing Kim!

 

   Meeting is ajourned.

 

Summary of Action Items

 

   [NEW] ACTION: everybody to scrutinize the relevant technologies to

   solve the issue of mixing different levels [recorded in

   [43]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/21-lld-minu

   tes.html#action09]

   [NEW] ACTION: Jeff to integrate more refined view of non-resolvable

   URIs and linking. [recorded in

   [44]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/21-lld-minu

   tes.html#action08]

   [NEW] ACTION: Karen, Tom, Michael, and Gordon to write the executive

   summary due in two weeks. [recorded in

   [45]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/21-lld-minu

   tes.html#action05]

 

   [PENDING] ACTION: Editors of each section should watch for

   substantial comments to their section [recorded in

   [46]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action06]

   [PENDING] ACTION: Emma to review use cases and make comments

   [recorded in

   [47]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minu

   tes.html#action07]

   [PENDING] ACTION: Karen and Antoine to relate Library Data Resources

   and Library Standards and Linked data [recorded in

   [48]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/16-lld-minutes.html#action12]

   [PENDING] ACTION: Karen and Emma to write a sentence adding cultural

   and memory institutions together in some way [recorded in

   [49]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minu

   tes.html#action03]

   [PENDING] ACTION: Karen will convene issues and recommendations

   group to identify things that need to be discussed with larger group

   for July 21 meeting [recorded in

   [50]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minu

   tes.html#action04]

 

     [46] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action06

     [47]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html
#action07

     [48] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/16-lld-minutes.html#action12

     [49]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html
#action03

     [50]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html
#action04

 

   [DONE] ACTION: chairs to send email to list asking for volunteers to

   write the executive summary [recorded in

   [51]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minu

   tes.html#action08]

   [DONE] ACTION: Gordon to review Relevant Technologies [recorded in

   [52]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/09-lld-minu

   tes.html#action04]

   [DONE] ACTION: Jeff to keep track of comments on the mailing list

   between July 15 and July 22 [recorded in

   [53]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action05]

   [DONE] ACTION: Karen Coyle to keep track of comments on the mailing

   list between July 8 and July 15 [recorded in

   [54]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action04]

   [DONE] ACTION: Tom to ask Dickson and Guenther if they could

   contribute curriculum issues to the Recommendations Section

   [recorded in

   [55]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minu

   tes.html#action13]

 

     [51]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html
#action08

     [52]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/09-lld-minutes.html
#action04

     [53] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action05

     [54] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action04

     [55]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minutes.html
#action13

 

   [End of minutes]

     _________________________________________________________

 

 

    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [56]scribe.perl version 1.136

    ([57]CVS log)

    $Date: 2011/07/21 18:28:17 $

 

     [56]
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm

     [57] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

 
Received on Thursday, 21 July 2011 18:57:03 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 21 July 2011 18:57:04 GMT