W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xg-lld@w3.org > July 2011

Minutes of July 7 2011 meeting

From: Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 15:49:21 -0700
Message-ID: <20110707154921.1294403lsvhymx9t@kcoyle.net>
To: "public-xg-lld@w3.org" <public-xg-lld@w3.org>
Linked from:  
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html
- kc


  [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                 LLD XG

07 Jul 2011

    [2]Agenda

       [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jul/0002.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-irc

Attendees

    Present
           emma, pmurray, lai, antoine, kcoyle, edsu, jneubert, digikim,
           dvilasuero, kefo

    Regrets
           Tom, Jodi, Lars, Uldis, Jeff, Monica, ross, Jon, Gordon,
           William, Ray

    Chair
           Emma, Antoine

    Scribe
           Karen

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Admin minutes of previous telecon
          2. [6]final report
      * [7]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________

    <emma> Previous: 2011-06-30
    [8]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/30-lld-minut
    es.html

       [8]  
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html

    <AlexanderH> Hi Emma, I only can follow via IRC today

    <emma> Hi Alex, thanks for being online anyway !

    <lai> hmm, a typo in my name ;-)

    <digikim_> ARGH... how can it be that skype always wants to install
    something when I'm in a hurry

    <kai> @digikim: Dialing in with google talk is for free and works
    very good

    <dvilasuero> Hi, again having problems with my ip call

    <dvilasuero> thanks antoine

    <antoine> Scribe: Karen

    <antoine> Scribenick: kcoyle

ADMIN: minutes of previous telecon

    <emma> Chair: Antoine

    RESOLVED: accept minutes of previous teleconference

    No call next week; next call 21 July

Final Report

    <antoine>
    [9]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Dissemination_Lists

       [9] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Dissemination_Lists

    calls have been sent to most/all lists in link

    digress.it plugin is installed, there are a few issues connecting

    <antoine>
    [10]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/DraftReportReviewerAss
    ignments

      [10]  
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/DraftReportReviewerAssignments

    keeping track of comments and reviews

    volunteers are keeping track of comments on the page

    <scribe> ACTION: Monica to keep track of comments between July 1 and
    July 8 [DONE] [recorded in
    [11]http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action01]

      [11] http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action01

    <edsu> nice work on the blog btw,
    [12]http://blogs.ukoln.ac.uk/w3clld/, i totally missed that it got
    done

      [12] http://blogs.ukoln.ac.uk/w3clld/

    Next, kcoyle for the next week, and then Jeff for the following week

    <scribe> ACTION: dvilasuero to keep track of comments from July
    23-July 30 [recorded in
    [13]http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action02]

      [13] http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action02

    <emma> Kcoyle: section "scope of this report not commented"

    <edsu> kcoyle: i don't recall comments about that, other than we
    should be talking about memory institutions and not cultural
    institutions, which should be included in the scope

    <emma> ... need to take into account general comments

    There has been a comment that we should use 'memory institutions'
    rather than 'cultural institutions'

    <edsu> antoine: do you think we need to mention non-rdf linked data?

    <antoine>
    [14]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Benefits#.22Library_Li
    nked_Data.22:_Scope_of_this_report

      [14]  
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Benefits#.22Library_Linked_Data.22:_Scope_of_this_report

    <edsu> kcoyle: i think we could say it *generally* uses rdf, rather
    than it *does* use rdf

    <edsu> antoine: ok, i think that was included

    <edsu> kcoyle: we could say library linked data is any library data
    that is expressed as linked data

    <emma> +1

    <dvilasuero> +1

    <edsu> antoine: perhaps nuancing the rdf stuff, or removing it all
    together

    <edsu> kcoyle: yeah, i can fit that in there

    scribe: LLD = any library data expressed as linked data

    <emma>
    [15]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jun/0085.h
    tml

      [15] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jun/0085.html

    mentions research use of data

    <edsu> kcoyle: this is the type of use case that makes me uneasy
    about using 'memory institutions'

    <emma> Dikson's review proposes a specific use case on researchers
    publishing their data and model as well as their papers

    <edsu> kcoyle: the emphasis is on keeping an archive, whereas
    current uses seem to be really important ... not so much about
    access to archives

    <emma> I'm wondering if it fits in "benefits" or elsewhere in the
    report

    <edsu> antoine: perhaps if we just say they are sometimes called
    'memory institutions' that will do the trick

    <edsu> kcoyle: they 'function' as memory institions, but that's not
    all they do

    emma: cultural organization is more neutral and broader; memory
    institution seems limited to archiving

    <kai> +1 for cultural institution

    <dvilasuero> +1 kcoyle they could function as memory institutions

    <antoine> +1 for cultural

    emma: include definition of memory and cultural in the scope
    statement

    <emma> +1 for cultural, could function as memory institutions

    edsu: memory institution is more inclusive of the sciences; cultural
    feels more like history, literature, art (humanities)

    <dvilasuero> +1 edsu, memory is more inclusive

    edsu: there is also short-term memory

    <kai> we should define it anyway. cultural could also be something
    like theatre. memory is only one aspect for me, access would be
    another.

    antoine: define them together in scope

    <emma> I just recorded a comment on the blog ;-)

    <emma> will need to be turned into a sentence

    i can try to write a sentence

    <emma> ok

    ok

    <scribe> ACTION: Karen and Emma to write a sentence adding cultural
    and memory institutions together in some way [recorded in
    [16]http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action03]

      [16] http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action03

    Dickson's comment about using research data

    <dvilasuero>
    [17]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Citation_of_S
    cientific_Datasets

      [17]  
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Citation_of_Scientific_Datasets

    dvilasuero: there are some use cases talking about research and
    scientific data sets

    antoine: issue of scope - not sure we should say that libraries
    should be curators of scientific data

    emma: this is a scope issue - it is a benefit of LLD to link to
    scientific and research data

    <edsu> emma: +1

    <edsu> i don't think libraries are the only players in library
    linked data

    antoine: this makes a connection between libraries and research
    data, but doesn't say that libraries need to manage the data

    emma: will add a sentence

    antoine: and make a link to the citation use case; try to relate to
    use cases elsewhere also

    <dvilasuero> emma if you need a more comprehensive list of research
    data use cases just let me know

    antoine: section on available vocabularies and data sets
    ... some editorial comments have been received; also question of
    division between vocabularies and data sets
    ... we already have discussed that
    ... value vocabs are datasets with a specific function

    <edsu> kcoyle: i think even we find this to be ambiguous, i thought
    that we covered it in our wording, but if we acknowledge there is
    ambiguity then I think that takes care of it

    antoine: wording needs to be more explicit
    ... we agree that the definitions are not fixed but may depend on
    context or use

    relevant technologies section: Jeff has made changes based on Jon's
    comments

    next: implementation challenges

    both issues and recommendations sections will have many comments

    <scribe> ACTION: Karen will convene issues and recommendations group
    to identify things that need to be discussed with larger group for
    July 21 meeting [recorded in
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action04]

      [18] http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action04

    <scribe> ACTION: Karen and Antoine to relate Library Data Resources
    and Library Standards and Linked data [CONTINUES] [recorded in
    [19]http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action05]

      [19] http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action05

    <scribe> ACTION: Tom to ask Dickson and Guenther if they could
    contribute curriculum issues to the Recommendations Section
    [CONTINUES] [recorded in
    [20]http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action06]

      [20] http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action06

    next: separate deliverable on vocabularies and datasets

    nothing new to discuss here

    next: use cases (Daniel)

    dvilasuero: adding comments to the clusters and use cases from
    discussions

    antoine: use case owners should be able to help

    <edsu> kai: are you at the provenance f2f?

    <kai> edsu: unfortunately not

    <edsu> kai: i guess there's no mtg today?

    dvilasuero: will create a new wiki page with links to use cases;
    this can go into the running agenda

    <kai> edsu: I don't think so

    dvilasuero: could someone go through the report and give some
    feedback?

    <emma> I'd like to do it, but I'm not sure I'll make it by july 22

    antoine: best not to wait until end of comment period -- there won't
    be much time to do the edits at that point

    maybe ask on the list?

    <emma> ok so put me an action ;-)

    <dvilasuero> thanks, karen maybe I could ask more explictly as I
    have already done but in other review emails

    <scribe> ACTION: Emma to review use cases and make comments
    [recorded in
    [21]http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action07]

      [21] http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action07

    <dvilasuero> thanks a lot emma!!

    kcoyle: executive summary?

    antoine: no one yet assigned to work on this. Should be done at the
    very end

    <scribe> ACTION: chairs to send email to list asking for volunteers
    to write the executive summary [recorded in
    [22]http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action08]

      [22] http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action08

    <digikim_> thanks

    <dvilasuero> thanks!

    <kefo> bye

    <dvilasuero> bye

    <jneubert> bye

    meeting adjourned

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: chairs to send email to list asking for volunteers to
    write the executive summary [recorded in
    [23]http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action08]
    [NEW] ACTION: Daniel to keep track of comments from July 23-July 30
    [recorded in
    [24]http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: Emma to review use cases and make comments [recorded
    in [25]http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action07]
    [NEW] ACTION: Karen and Emma to write a sentence adding cultural and
    memory institutions together in some way [recorded in
    [26]http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: Karen will convene issues and recommendations group to
    identify things that need to be discussed with larger group for July
    21 meeting [recorded in
    [27]http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action04]

      [23] http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action08
      [24] http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action02
      [25] http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action07
      [26] http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action03
      [27] http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action04

    [PENDING] ACTION:Editors of each section should watch for
    substantial comments to their section [recorded in
    [28]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action06]
    [PENDING] ACTION:Jeff to keep track of comments on the mailing list
    between July 15 and July 22 [recorded in
    [29]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action05]
    [PENDING] ACTION:Karen Coyle to keep track of comments on the
    mailing list between July 8 and July 15 [recorded in
    [30]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action04]
    [PENDING] ACTION: Karen and Antoine to relate Library Data Resources
    and Library Standards and Linked data [recorded in
    [31]http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action05]
    [PENDING] ACTION: Tom to ask Dickson and Guenther if they could
    contribute curriculum issues to the Recommendations Section
    [recorded in
    [32]http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action06]

      [28] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action06
      [29] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action05
      [30] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action04
      [31] http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action05
      [32] http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action06

    [DONE] ACTION: Monica to keep track of comments between July 1 and
    July 8 [recorded in
    [33]http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action01]

      [33] http://www.w3.org/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action01

    [End of minutes]
      _________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [34]scribe.perl version 1.136
     ([35]CVS log)
     $Date: 2011/07/07 20:52:11 $

      [34] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [35] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/



-- 
Karen Coyle
kcoyle@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net
ph: 1-510-540-7596
m: 1-510-435-8234
skype: kcoylenet
Received on Thursday, 7 July 2011 22:50:01 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 7 July 2011 22:50:02 GMT