Re: YouTube video?

Hi Gordon,

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 06:15:45PM +0000, Gordon Dunsire wrote:
> But an outer framework or narrative that puts it in a familiar
> context would be useful, and could be based on the around-the-world theme:

Okay, so maybe it would be easier to abandon the task of
explaining any relationship to Verne's 80 days but keep the
notion of "Tripling around the world" (or words to that
effect).

> Flickr and other Web2 sites have made the public familiar with
> masses of holiday and other event-based photographs, often
> described in terms of people and places. And Google Maps/Earth
> and Open Street Map are making the geographic links more
> explicit. So the linked data trail could surface, seemingly
> at random, with images from "around the world"
> associated with a person or place, including the location
> of bibliographic works, art works, museum object, etc. This
> doesn't have to be too serious - museum collections include
> everyday objects, absurd objects, objects associated with a
> famous person, etc.

I like it.

> In other words, where a photo of a place
> or person or object is linked to the follow-your-nose trail,
> then surface it - maybe the screen could be split horizontally,
> with the upper half a rapidly-changing image, and the lower
> a simple animiated diagram of where we are in the depths of
> the LoD. And it could end on the starting entity/place to
> form a loop, with the explanation that the next trip round
> would be something completely different ... And Anyway,
> I said "could"; this is just a suggestion.

Maybe the bottom of the screen could continually show a narrow
window of triples scrolling up and down, sometimes faster,
sometimes slower, pausing to highlight a subject here, finding
a matching object there. When a match is found, then, show the
match above the triples window by zooming out on the current
photo or book, placing it to the left, placing the object
on the right, adding a predicate between the two to describe
the connection.  Once this has been narrated, zoom in on the
object resource so that it takes up the whole screen while
triples resume scrolling in the window below in the search
for the next random or instructive connection.

Tom

--
Tom Baker <tbaker@tbaker.de>