Re: vocabs, metadata set, datasets

All:

The presentation Tom is thinking of is
athttp://gordondunsire.com/pubs/pres/EvolCatRec.ppt

Feel free to point to it, or cannibalise it, or quote from it (it has notes).

A definition of "record" from the MADS/RDF Vocabulary Description document
(http://www.loc.gov/standards/mads/rdf/):

"Used throughout the current document to describe the compilation of facts about
something or, especially in the case of the present document and topic, the
collection of triple statements about an authoritative or variant term (such as
a subject or name heading)."

Which generalises to: "The compilation of facts about something, or the
collection of triple statements about something."

See also the Background section of the BibData use case cluster
(http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Cluster_BibData): "... bibliographic
record, a set of data elements describing the content and characteristics of an
information object manufactured for human consumption.". Which generalises to "A
set of data elements describing something." - but are we developing a definition
of "record" within the bibliographic context, or just generally?

Cheers

Gordon