From: Karen Coyle [kcoyle@kcoyle.net]
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 13:47
To: Ford, Kevin
Cc: public-xg-lld@w3.org
Subject: RE: vocabs, metadata set, datasets

Kevin, and others:

I also see this as a confusion between metadata set creation and
metadata set usage. For example, if I am creating metadata instances,
I probably view LCSH as a kind of thesaurus from which I select an
individual subject heading. If I am creating a new LCSH entry, then I
am creating a record with a number of data elements (preferred form,
alternate form, cataloger's notes). If I am a developer of the LCSH
metadata schema definitions in a machine-readable format (e.g. MARC
Authorities or MADS) then I work with the data structure, not any
actual instances of authority records. (All structure, no content.)

I often get the feeling that we aren't clear when we speak/write which
of these we are talking about. The third one could perhaps be called
"metadata modeling". The middle one... "vocabulary creation"? The
first one "vocabulary usage"?

kc