Gap analysis

From: Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 10:57:14 -0800
To: "public-xg-lld@w3.org" <public-xg-lld@w3.org>
This is a (hasty?) gap analysis from the Archives Cluster:

Missing Vocabularies
- sometimes specific (physical state of original in a preservation
context), sometimes general (need vocabularies for preservation data),
but no vocabulary for the function or data elements

Data incompatibilities or lacks
- current data is free text, but contains quantitative information
that needs to be pulled out
- data needs to be qualified as "estimated" or "derived" so users know
it is not precise (this is possibly a vocabulary issue)
- current practice does not include rich relationships, just
"related," so there is no source of relationships

Community guidance
- no examples in our community domain that we can follow
- lack of information on how to create a data model
- no community guidance on which technologies and vocabularies to use

Technology questions
- is linked data scalable to the size we need?
- is linked data appropriate for highly hierarchical data models?

Technology availability
- no systems available on market for linked data creation and use
- open source solutions available are in an unfinished state