Re: use case clustering -- "collections"

On 6 Jan 2011, at 08:28, gordon@gordondunsire.com wrote:

> Antoine, Jodi, others
>
> Happy New Year!
>
> (I'm awake again ...)
>
> I think we've got two separate areas of focus: 1) the "obtain" function; 2) granularity of metadata description. Both are interesting.

They're also related. For instance:
I'm looking to obtain a reading copy, but the edition doesn't matter, and I'll accept electronic or paper formats, and prefer large print. I may have further constraints on location, etc.

This is a request for a work, limited by format (I don't want audiobooks), with format-based preferences.

> 1) is concerned with a specific item (although it may be distinguished from other items of the same manifestation merely by its "obtainability"), and covers attributes such as loan status, opening hours for physical access, access restrictions based on licenses, etc. as well as bibliographic attributes which make a specific item "special" (e.g. missing pages, autographed by author, previously owned by a specific person or group, etc.).
>
> 2) is concerned with what is being described by metadata: (in descending order of granularity) a super-collection, a collection, a work and all its expressions/manifestations/items (the traditional bibliographic record), a specific expression/manifestation/item (a FRBRised "record"), a specific attribute of a specific resource (an RDF triple).
>
> I think we need to cover both areas in the LLD work, but not necessarily via the use-case cluster mechanism. 1) definitely needs the use-case approach, but 2) could be handled by adding a page to the wiki's Resources section (perhaps via the Library standards and linked data page). As we've already discussed, neither collection-level description nor FRBRised description are generally used by libraries at present, so 2) is more hypothetical than practical. Of course, we could just add two use-case clusters, one for each focus ...

I think it's good to distinguish these. At least a wiki page for granularity (2) is needed.

-Jodi