Draft report and use cases

From: Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 06:03:43 -0800
To: "public-xg-lld@w3.org" <public-xg-lld@w3.org>
I know that Jodi's transclusion of the use cases into the draft report
is not intended to be a final version, but I still feel that the use
cases themselves should NOT be in the report EXCEPT as what we learned
from them. They are background data for our information.

I also feel that the use cases are not terribly representative of the
primary issues that we face for linked library data. Some are highly
specific, almost marginal, projects. None addresses the 'elephant in
the room', which is that libraries have huge amounts of catalog data,
mostly in ISBD-ish or a MARC-like format. This data is really not
data, it is primarily text, and is therefore NOT suitable for linked
data without some major transformation. In addition, there is (at
least in the library world I am familiar with) no major library
institution taking leadership in this area, and one major library
institution that is actively preventing the open use of library data.

I don't see how we can produce a report that doesn't address these
core issues.