AW: References to "application profiles"

Hi Jeff, Tom,

my first idea about this was not technical at all. Even if you have only a sheet of paper with an overview, which properties are used, and about possible restrictions (mandatory, cardinality, etc) imposed on the data in the source (legacy) sytstems, this can be extremely helpful for dealing with the data.

More real and formally validatable control is better, of cause. And as the text is phrased now, it gives the hints to the general idea, and to a formal implementation in the Singapore Framework as well (where the reader can buy in or not).

Cheers, Joachim

t_Vocabularies_Datasets_Section2&diff=6007&oldid=6006
>    -- Reference to "application profiles" here left untouched
> (looks fine, Antoine!)
>    -- Clarified wording in various ways (see diff).
>    -- In addition to LLD XG and LOD-LAM, added DCMI and FOAF
> Project (citing their joint statement)
>       to the list of advocates for alignments among element sets.
>
>    Paragraph now reads:
>
>        Alignments are likewise relevent for metadata element
> sets. As evidenced in
>        the [http://labs.mondeca.com/dataset/lov/ Linked Open
> Vocabularies]
>        inventory, practitioners generally follow the good
> practice of re-using
>        existing element sets or building
>        [http://dublincore.org/documents/singapore-framework/
> application profiles]
>        that re-use elements from multiple sets. Projects such as the
>
> [http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_Data_Resour
> ces#Vocabulary_mapping_framework
>        Vocabulary Mapping Framework] aim at supporting
> alignment. The lack of
>        institutional support for element sets can threaten
> the long-term
>        persistence of their shared meanings. Moreover, some
> reference frameworks,
>        notably FRBR, have been expressed differently in RDF,
> and these different
>        expressions are not always explicitly aligned -- a
> situation which limits
>        the semantic interoperability of datasets in which
> these RDF vocabularies
>        are used. The community should facilitate the
> coordinated re-use or
>        extension of existing element sets over the creation
> of new sets from
>        scratch. Aligning already existing element sets when
> they overlap, typically
>        using semantic relations from
>        [http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-schema/#ch_subclassof RDFS] and
>
> [http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-owl2-primer-20091027/#Ontology_
Management
>        OWL], should also be encouraged. We hope that better
> communication between
>        the creators and maintainers of these resources, as
> advocated by the
>        [http://lod-lam.net/summit/ LOD-LAM initiative], the
>        [http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-foaf/ Dublin
> Core Metadata Initiative
>        and FOAF Project], and our own incubator group, will
> lead to more explicit
>        conceptual connections among element sets.
>
> --
> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/index.php?title=Draf
t_recommendations_page_take2&diff=6008&oldid=6005
>    Added:
>
>         [http://dublincore.org/documents/singapore-framework/
> Application
>         profiles] provide a method for a community of
> practice to document and
>         share patterns of using vocabularies and constraints
> for describing
>         specific types of resources.
>
> --
> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/index.php?title=Draf
t_Relevant_Technologies&diff=6011&oldid=5832