Re: Restructuring the "available data" section (s)

Hi, all,

Following the discussions on this thread, I could see that when putting
all the 'issues' together in the final report the "Linking Issues" section
in the appendix seemed to has more details and is standing by itself, as
Karen pointed out.

I wonder if there is anyway to make much changes at the (almost) last
minute.  It is fine to me to let it stay in the Appendix, if adding a
short introduction in the Available Vocabularies and Datasets[1] section
is an option. These issues echo to the three categories (datasets, value
vocabularies, and metadata element sets) so it would be useful to be
connected to the 'Inventory' part.

On 8/22/11 7:16 PM, "Antoine Isaac" <aisaac@few.vu.nl> wrote:

>Karen, others,
>
>To tell the truth, I'm also not comfortable with that section, either.
>It's a kind of mix between an issue, available (alignment) data and
>relevant (matching) technology. Even worse, it's been judged highly
>relevant by a couple of blog commenters, who even want more of it :-)

In addition to those comments, I saw someone already made the side
derivable in a 'reading list'.

>I've also received many personal mails asking about that matter, over the
>past couple of years.

Like Antoine experienced, I also got quite a lot of questions from
practitioners, especially those who wanted to start experimenting to make
linked library data, and especially those in the Asia and Pacific region.
In many cases, LLD grow from grassroots. I felt that there existed
documents on other issues (such as the rights and license issues), so
people may find answers and discussions here or there. There are fewer
available documents (if any) that summarized those linking issues (both
alignment practices examples and technology) like we aimed in LLD XG.

'LOD's 'L' seemed to be one of the most critical to those who are not just
wanting to make data available in the 'LD way' but also really linking
out.

>Anyway, if there is a majority for moving it into another part (the
>relevant technology one, or the side "data" deliverable) or just dropping
>it to a separate wiki page, I won't object to it. But well, I kind of
>agree with Marcia: the match with the side "data" deliverable would be
>far from perfect.
>And we've got to keep in mind that working more on it now so far we had
>received no negative comment about that bit. It is just looking awkward,
>because the rest of the report (esp. issues) has changed...

Since linking is not a pure 'technical' issue, especially on the value
vocabularies side, this part was not appended in the 'Relevant
Technologies' part in the report's draft. But I guess it is OK if we have
to move it into that part.

As for the length, if no words-count/space limit, I think the current text
should be kept (of course it can be modified to be even more precise if we
have more time.)
After all the XG is creating a useful text for potential users.

Thanks for reading my 2 cents.

Marcia

[1]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/DraftReportWithTransclusion#Avail