W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xg-lld@w3.org > August 2011

Minutes of 2011-08-04 LLD meeting

From: ZENG, MARCIA <mzeng@kent.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 20:54:49 -0400
To: public-xg-lld <public-xg-lld@w3.org>
Message-ID: <CA60B799.AD4C%mzeng@kent.edu>
Hello, everyone,

The minutes of our call today can be found at: http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/08/04-lld-minutes.html

A text version follows.

Thanks for those who helped capturing the contents correctly, and thank to Antoine again for guiding me through the process again.

Cheers,

Marcia

=============================================

  [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                LLD XG

04 Aug 2011

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Aug/0004.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2011/08/04-lld-irc

Attendees

   Present
          tbaker, michaelp, emma, jeff_, kcoyle, kai, marcia, jneubert,
          GordonD, monica, antoine, jodi, edsu

   Regrets
          Kim, Lars, Ray, Kevin, Uldis

   Chair
          Tom

   Scribe
          Marcia

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]ADMIN
         2. [6]Comments received
         3. [7]FINAL DELIVERABLES
         4. [8]TRANSITION TO W3C COMMUNITY GROUP
     * [9]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

   <antoine> Previous: 2011-07-21
   [10]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/21-lld-minu
   tes.html

     [10] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/21-lld-minutes.html

   <jodi> t

   <jodi> thanks. antoine!

   <jodi> means that I'm trying to eat and type at the same time :)

   <tbaker> Scribe: Marcia

   <edsu> zoia, [LC] is edsu

   <tbaker> scribenick: marcia

ADMIN

   Minutes of previous telecons PROPOSED: To accept

   RESOLUTION: approved minutes from last call

   Tom: two more telecons

   <jodi> which we really need to do! :)

   Tom: lots need to be done still

Comments received

   Tom: realized missing the comments from the blog
   ... created a page
   ... Links to reviews - including comments on the UKOLN blog -
   updated from DraftReportReviewerAssignments (Tom)

   [11]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/DraftReportReviews

     [11] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/DraftReportReviews

   scribe: any comments?
   ... summarized comments from various sections. Authors should find
   useful

   <scribe> ACTION: Editors of each section should watch for
   substantial comments to their section [recorded in
   [12]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/30-lld-minu
   tes.html#action06] [CONTINUES]

     [12] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action06

   <scribe> ACTION: Daniel to keep track of comments from July 23-July
   30 [recorded in
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minu
   tes.html#action02] [DONE]

     [13] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action02

   emma: will continue to monitor through Aug.. 11

   <scribe> ACTION: Emma to keep track of comments through AUG. 11
   [recorded in
   [14]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/08/04-lld-minu
   tes.html#action03]

   <tbaker>
   [15]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Aug/0003.h
   tml

     [15] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Aug/0003.html

FINAL DELIVERABLES

   Tom: we (the "Issues and Recommendations" sub-group)

   had a discussion. two issues
   ... will come back to the recommendation issues
   ... looking at the draft of the report as a whole and the comments
   received, the group felt it might be useful to divide the current
   draft into two
   ... first title something like "Benefits of Library Linked Data,
   with Recommendations"
   ... 8 pages long
   ... We saw that comments include good ones and also issues. There
   were complains about the level of details in the report's sections,
   assumed decision makers will read the report
   ... survey-oriented sections should be put into a second document
   ... such as vocabularies, technologies. Not try to address high
   level issues like the first documents
   ... now there are redundant of vocabularies in both report and side
   deliverable
   ... the this deliverable would be use cases
   ... open to comments

   <edsu> +1 for splitting it

   Tom: regarding spliting

   Antoine: where are these comments that addressing the mixing

   Tom: some comments about technical details

   Karen: a number of comments said it is not clear of the audience
   ... I agree not necessarily be two documents. But general
   description should be first, in order not to lose them.
   ... maybe just rearranging

   <edsu> +1 for rearranging i mean :-)

   Karen: first part could stand alone. people who are only interested
   in that could just read that.

   <jeff_> Could the techie bits be left in place, but flagged somehow?

   Antoine: the higher level recommendation should still in the main
   doc.

   <edsu> jeff_: kind of like spicy things on a menu? :-)

   <jeff_> edsu: exactly!

   <GordonD> All recommendations (general and technical) should be in   the recommendations section.

   Karen: the first section now is very general. 2nd section go into
   how you do it.

   Antoine: data and technology side both have also general contents

   <michaelp> Donal Knuth in the TeX docs uses a "sharp bend"/dangerous
   curve icon to flag those technical parts.

   <Zakim> emma, you wanted to say that Vocs & data is part of general
   description

   Karen: right now vocabulary inserted in between, it does not seem
   right. Afraid losing readers

   Emma: data description need to be there to show we are not talking
   from zero. Having descriptions inside of the main report will be
   useful.
   ... should keep them in the same doc. re-arrange a little bit

   <Zakim> tbaker, you wanted to suggest that we have Part A and B

   Tom: suggest to have a Part A and Part B.
   ... Make sense to make some into tight executive summary
   ... If more challenging, can be referred to Part B, e.g.,
   technologies
   ... Voc and Dataset already have description and a detail... can
   almost go to appendix

   <jodi> I don't think that additional documents is really additional
   overhead

   Karen: we can clarify them if we have real good titles

   Tom: agree with Karen

   Karen: 1 section we set up theme
   ... 2nd: talking about tools that are available, progress already
   been made.
   ... folks look at TOC can see the flow

   Antoine: current situation is already out there

   <emma> +1, antoine

   Antoine: in the current issue section

   Tom: Imply what we have the structure right now

   Antoine: maybe the data section just give methodologies through
   examples

   Emma: the technology may not so fit at the place

   Jodi: Like Tom's proposal. There must be someway to convey them to
   read the technology without including the details in the main
   report.
   ... should be as short as possible and as general as possible

   <jodi> yes

   Tom: we were planning to have vocabulary as side deliverable.
   ... take the draft vocab/data section, keep in Deliverable A. Move
   technology to B.
   ... technology details of vocabulary and dataset go into B.

   <Zakim> antoine, you wanted to comment on relevant technologies

   Antoine: maybe workable

   <antoine>
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Draft_Vocabularies_Dat
   asets_Section

     [16] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Draft_Vocabularies_Datasets_Section

   Antoine: maybe keep basic descriptions in the report

   Tom: that makes sense
   ... there are complains about the typology of dataset, element set,
   and value vocabularies, but no better way now

   <GordonD> +1 for a short, general description of current state of
   available library vocabularies (most acronyms will be familiar to
   library executives) in part a, referring to the fuller separate
   deliverable

   <kcoyle> I think placement is important; are we still keeping
   benefits, issues and recommendations together?

   Tom: in the main report keep this section.
   ... just afraid of general readers would not follow
   ... looks like we are coming to an agreement of how to structure.

   Antoine: disagree with to put technology into a different
   deliverable

   <GordonD> +1 benefits, current situation and issues (including
   vocabularies), recommendations in first part

   <jodi> +1 to making it concrete

   <jodi> if you make me a list of what you want, I can do the
   transclusion -- it's easy enough

   <jodi> or what tom says :)

   Tom: maybe make al alternative transclusion and see how it looks
   like

   <antoine> it's just a matter of changing the order of the current
   transclusion, I think :-)

   <scribe> ACTION: Jodi to make an alternative transclusion [recorded
   in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/08/04-lld-minu
   tes.html#action04]

   Tom: asking Karen to work with Jodi

   Karen: happy to do it.

   <jodi> great, Karen: the list of pages will be very easy to edit
   into a transclusion page :)

   <scribe> ACTION: Karen, Tom, Michael, and Gordon to write the
   executive summary due in two weeks. [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/21-lld-minu
   tes.html#action05] [CONTINUES]

     [18] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/21-lld-minutes.html#action05

   <scribe> ACTION: Karen and Emma to write a sentence adding cultural
   and memory institutions together in some way [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minu
   tes.html#action03]

     [19] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action03

   Karen: the note is in there.

   <scribe> CONTINUES

   BENEFITS OF LINKED DATA (Ed, Emmanuelle, Ross) --
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Benefits

     [20] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Benefits

   Emma: worked on the comments from Dickson. We may need a meeting
   between me and ED
   ... suggest to have an action

   <edsu> emma++

   <scribe> ACTION: Editors of BENEFITS to meet and work on the
   comments. [recorded in
   [21]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/08/04-lld-minu
   tes.html#action07]

   AVAILABLE VOCABULARIES AND DATASETS (Antoine, Jeff, Marcia, William)
   --
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Draft_Vocabularies_Dat
   asets_Section

     [22] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Draft_Vocabularies_Datasets_Section

   Antoine: we can manage them. There are manageable comments

   <scribe> ACTION: everybody to scrutinize the relevant technologies   to solve the issue of mixing different levels [recorded in
   [23]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/21-lld-minu
   tes.html#action09]

     [23] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/21-lld-minutes.html#action09

   <scribe> CONTINUES

   <scribe> ACTION: Jeff to integrate more refined view of
   non-resolvable URIs and linking. [recorded in
   [24]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/21-lld-minu
   tes.html#action08]

     [24] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/21-lld-minutes.html#action08

   RELEVANT TECHNOLOGIES (Jeff) --
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Draft_Relevant_Technol
   ogies

     [25] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Draft_Relevant_Technologies

   Jeff: will keep working on them.

   <scribe> CONTINUES

   IMPLEMENTATION CHALLENGES AND BARRIERS TO ADOPTION

   <scribe> ACTION: Karen will convene issues and recommendations group
   to identify things that need to be discussed with larger group for
   July 21 meeting [recorded in
   [26]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minu
   tes.html#action04]

     [26] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action04

   Karen: challenges and barriers... got lots of comments. We got
   pushed back to the recommendations

   some are beyond our scope.

   scribe: should keep in library linked data

   <Zakim> kcoyle, you wanted to ask about transclusion

   scribe: removed a lot of how things should be done. Focused on what
   should be done
   ... regarding library systems
   ... assigning URIs, deciding what data go out first, etc.

   <jodi> adding metadata education

   scribe: removed things like staffing

   <jodi> (I mean, "adding metadata education" was removed)

   scribe: removed some statements.

   <jodi> <-- from recommendations

   <jodi>
   [27]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Draft_issues_page_take
   2

     [27] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Draft_issues_page_take2
   <jodi>
   [28]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Draft_recommendations_
   page_take2

     [28] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Draft_recommendations_page_take2

   scribe: staffing, transferring the data, assignment of URI, etc.

   <tbaker>
   [29]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/index.php?title=Draft_
   issues_page_take2&diff=5537&oldid=5374

     [29] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/index.php?title=Draft_issues_page_take2&diff=5537&oldid=5374

   now it is more positive

   Tom: the draft is in the new page

   <scribe> CONTINUES

   <Zakim> emma, you wanted to ask how to handle removed items that
   need to go into benefits

   Emma: did you track the changes?

   Karen: we can go back to the notes

   <antoine> pls send stuff around too!

   <antoine> (like the list of stuff to consider for benefits)

   <scribe> ACTION: Karen will track items from former "issues" and
   "recommendations" that belong to benefits [recorded in
   [30]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/08/04-lld-minu
   tes.html#action08]

   Tom: will need to work on these in the next weeks.

   <Zakim> antoine, you wanted to have a call next week

   <jodi> +1 to a call next week

   Tom: welcome suggestions of how to do things differently

   <kcoyle> +1 call next week

   <jeff_> +1

   <jodi> (however I will be gone myself)

   <GordonD> regrets for next week, and week after

   TOM: will have conference next week

   USE CASES (Daniel) - SEPARATE DELIVERABLE

   Karen: maybe just add some words in the executive summary regarding
   the use cases, mention them and say something about them.

TRANSITION TO W3C COMMUNITY GROUP

   Tom: mentioned: 2011-05-12: Should inform W3C of intent to
   transition by 1 August for transition on 1 September (and cancel
   Zakim slot).

   <emma> we did have discussion on 2011-06-30

   Tom: right now no clear indication of actions
   ... at the moment, the situation is that there is no replacement of
   this group.

   <kcoyle> could we form a "transition group?"

   <kai> Have to leave, too. Bye!

   <kcoyle> with no long term obligation

   <edsu> emma++ # public discussion

   Emma: will put on list

   <antoine> +1

   <jodi> +1 to public list discussion

   <jodi> that sounds like kcoyle is volunteering to help make sure it
   happens, but only with others :)

   <antoine> the list will survive, anyway!

   Karen: the small group of people who are willing to work through
   emails

   AOB

   <jodi> bye!

   <jneubert> bye

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Editors of BENEFITS to meet and work on the comments.
   [recorded in
   [31]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/08/04-lld-minu
   tes.html#action07]
   [NEW] ACTION: Emma to keep track of comments through AUG. 11
   [recorded in
   [32]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/08/04-lld-minu
   tes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: Jodi to make an alternative transclusion [recorded in
   [33]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/08/04-lld-minu
   tes.html#action04]
   [NEW] ACTION: Karen will track items from former "issues" and
   "recommendations" that belong to benefits [recorded in
   [34]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/08/04-lld-minu
   tes.html#action08]


   [PENDING] ACTION: Karen, Tom, Michael, and Gordon to write the
   executive summary due in two weeks. [recorded in
   [35]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/21-lld-minu
   tes.html#action05]

     [35] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/21-lld-minutes.html#action05

   [PENDING] ACTION: Karen and Emma to write a sentence adding cultural
   and memory institutions together in some way [recorded in
   [36]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minu
   tes.html#action03]

     [36] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action03

   [PENDING] ACTION: everybody to scrutinize the relevant technologies
   to solve the issue of mixing different levels [recorded in
   [37]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/21-lld-minu
   tes.html#action09]

     [37] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/21-lld-minutes.html#action09

   [PENDING] ACTION: Jeff to integrate more refined view of
   non-resolvable URIs and linking. [recorded in
   [38]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/21-lld-minu
   tes.html#action08]

     [38] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/21-lld-minutes.html#action08

   [PENDING] ACTION: Karen will convene issues and recommendations
   group to identify things that need to be discussed with larger group
   for July 21 meeting [recorded in
   [39]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minu
   tes.html#action04

     [39] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action04

   [PENDING] ACTION: Karen and Antoine to relate Library Data Resources
   and Library Standards and Linked data [recorded in
   [40]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/16-lld-minu
   tes.html#action12]

     [40] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/16-lld-minutes.html#action12

   [PENDING] ACTION: Emma to review use cases and make comments
   [recorded in
   [41]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minu
   tes.html#action07]

     [41] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action07

   [PENDING] ACTION: Editors of each section should watch for
   substantial comments to their section [recorded in
   [42]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/30-lld-minu
   tes.html#action06]

     [42] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action06

   [DONE] ACTION: Daniel to keep track of comments from July 23-July 30
   [recorded in
   [43]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minu
   tes.html#action02]

     [43] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action02

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [44]scribe.perl version 1.136
    ([45]CVS log)
    $Date: 2011/08/04 22:01:41 $

     [44] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm     [45] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Friday, 5 August 2011 00:55:20 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 5 August 2011 00:55:20 GMT