RE: Relevant technology -- DVRQ?

As Ed suggested, I was referring to D2RQ Platform [1]. It has a very
simple 2-3 step process to publish existing relational databases as
Linked Data with a SPARQL endpoint.

1) Download and unzip d2r-server [2]
2) Follow the Quick start to generate a mapping file for a relational
database and start the server[3]
3) [Optional] Tweak the mapping file to switch names to other ontologies
like FOAF, VCard, SKOS, etc.

The mapping file is coded in Turtle/N3 and easy to manipulate. The
vocabulary used to do the mapping fairly intuitive and well-documented
[4]. It also has a SPARQL/Update extension [5]

The mechanisms involved are simple, but peculiar to the D2RQ platform.
Fortunately, the authors are working with the W3C to standardize the
mechanisms. [6]

[1] http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/bizer/d2r-server/
[2] http://sourceforge.net/projects/d2rq-map/
[3] http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/bizer/d2r-server/#quickstart