Re: Vocabularies/dataset deliverable

From: Jodi Schneider <jodi.schneider@deri.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 12:16:15 +0100
Cc: public-xg-lld <public-xg-lld@w3.org>
To: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>

On 20 Apr 2011, at 11:57, Antoine Isaac wrote:
>> Another topic that the report may need to cover is *finding* vocabularies; one challenge raised by the issues/recommendations subgroup is finding and selecting general-purpose vocabularies. Beyond places and persons (which are well-covered in your draft) there are events (maybe in CIDOC CRM? If so, more details on that could help!), measurements, colors, etc.
> If we manage to find categories for our items, this may be a first answer. But maybe you are refering to something else, such as giving some more guidance/pointers on tools such as http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/Category:Search_Engine ?

Yes, as well as pointers to vocabulary registries. In order to avoid an "RDF silo" of LLD we need to use existing vocabularies -- but that requires knowing what they are, as we describe in the recommendations draft here:

I was thinking of categories with the novice audience in mind--because one possible outcome is a "lookup table" of some common vocabularies, or at least something that would be easy to scan visually as a reference.

I agree that categorizing is challenging!

:) -Jodi