Fwd: RDA in a non-MARC environment: the eXtensible Catalog

From: Peter Murray <peter.murray@lyrasis.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 09:40:07 -0400
To: public-xg-lld <public-xg-lld@w3.org>
Since we, too, are thinking about library metadata outside MARC, this report from the eXtensible Catalog might be of interest.

Peter

Begin forwarded message:
From: "Bowen, Jennifer" <jbowen@LIBRARY.ROCHESTER.EDU<mailto:jbowen@LIBRARY.ROCHESTER.EDU>>
Date: April 14, 2011 9:21:54 AM EDT
To: "RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA<mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA>" <RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA<mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA>>
Subject: [RDA-L] RDA in a non-MARC environment: the eXtensible Catalog

In early March, my colleague Dave Lindahl and I were invited to meet with the US RDA Test Coordinating Committee at the Library of Congress to discuss the eXtensible Catalog’s partial implementation of RDA in a non-MARC, FRBR-based environment.

As a follow-up to that meeting and presentation, the committee invited us to submit a written statement for inclusion as an Appendix to the group's final report.  That statement is now posted to the eXtensible Catalog (XC) website:

http://www.extensiblecatalog.org/XCandRDA

I invite you all to read this statement and consider the potential benefits of RDA in an environment beyond the confines of our current MARC-based systems.  While this may sound like something far off in the distance future, it is in fact NOT FAR AWAY, even for libraries that plan to use a  MARC-based ILS for the foreseeable future.

Jennifer

Jennifer Bowen
Assistant Dean, University of Rochester River Campus Libraries
Co-Executive Director, eXtensible Catalog Organization, LLC
585-275-0004    jbowen@library.rochester.edu<x-msg://1236/jbowen@library.rochester.edu>

--
Peter Murray         Peter.Murray@lyrasis.org<mailto:Peter.Murray@lyrasis.org>        tel:+1-678-235-2955
Ass't Director, Technology Services Development   http://dltj.org/about/