W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xg-lld@w3.org > November 2010

Re: Volunteers to shepherd individual use cases and curate clusters

From: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 17:29:54 +0100
Message-ID: <4CDAC882.4010402@few.vu.nl>
To: Kim Viljanen <kim.viljanen@tkk.fi>
CC: public-xg-lld <public-xg-lld@w3.org>
Hi Kim,

Sorry for the delay. I thought that your question was about curating clusters of cases, but it turns out it was "only" about shepherding individual cases.

As we discussed before the F2F, the role of shepherds was more to read the cases thoroughly, present them to the group, be able to answer questions on them, and contact the contributors of the cases for further detail if needed.

Now that the F2F is over, and that we've started organize further our work, the roles of shepherds would still be to read and know the case they "champion" so as to answer question from the rest of the group. But to some extent the analysis/report part will now be split with the curators of clusters, who of course are supposed to be interested in the cases in their cluster :-)

In fact we're now searching shepherds to read the cases that are not clustered yet [1], and to propose to fit them in one cluster.

There's also an action:

ACTION: for each use case champion: on the Vocabularies page, link to each URL use case that uses it [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/mIncubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action01]

So we need shepherds for all cases to be able to complete this action.

Finally, as we were discussing a new organization of topics [2] in which the topic list is now an aggregation of Topic-specific pages [3] which are supposed to be linked to Cases (by marking them as belonging to the Mediawiki category defined for that topic), Tom made a suggestion 10 days ago [4]:
> The job of adding categories should be the use case shepherd

Perhaps this may be done by the cluster curators, if the shepherds don't do it. We still have to decide on an action on that, once wiki category pages are available for every topic at [2].

I hope this somehow helps,

Antoine

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCases#Not_yet_clustered:
[2] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/TopicsDiscussed
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Nov/0021.html
[3] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/28-lld-minutes.html#item06


> Hello Antoine & all,
>
> I tried to search for additional information on what shepherds should do in practice, but didn't find such information in wiki or in the minutes... Could you shortly describe what the shepherd should do and deliver? What is the schedule?
>
> (Our research group could give valuable input in analyzing e.g. the Cultural Heritage case, but need some details of the shepherd tasks to be able to sell this to the correct person.)
>
> Regards,
> Kim
>
> On Thu, 4 Nov 2010, Antoine Isaac wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> In the call today there were two elements we'd like to draw everyone's attention on:
>>
>> 1.On:
>> ACTION: People who were not at the face-to-face meeting volunteer to join a cluster [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/10/28-lld-minutes.html#action03]
>>
>> The idea is to leaving the opportunity for these who were not at the F2F and would be really interested in one of the clusters at [1] to participate to this effort. But we do have curators for the clusters already; it is not vital that many new volunteers join to curate them. As a consequence, we'd like to close the action during next week's call!
>>
>> 2.
>> ACTION: People who didn't attend the face-to-face should volunteer to shepherd a new use case. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/10/28-lld-minutes.html#action06]
>>
>> We did not decide on this in the call, but it is getting quite urgent: it would be great if we could have a small intro for these cases one day. Cluster curators may also need to discuss with the shepherds for individual cases. And we don't want these who were at the F2F to take even more work on their shoulders!
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Antoine
>>
>> [1] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Cases#Cases
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> Kim.Viljanen@tkk.fi | +358-(0)40-5414654 | http://www.seco.tkk.fi/u/kimvilja
> Semantic Computing Research Group
> Aalto University, School of Science and Technology, Department of Media Technology
> P.O. Box 15500, FI-00076 Aalto, Finland
> Map: http://www.seco.tkk.fi/contact/
> Have you tasted the Semantic Web? Check: http://www.seco.tkk.fi
>
Received on Wednesday, 10 November 2010 16:30:07 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 10 November 2010 16:30:09 GMT