Re: Institutional Identifier (I2) comments (was: RE: Institutional Identifier Re: [Digipres] NISO Seeking Feedback on ...)

From: Herbert Van de Sompel <hvdsomp@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 19:39:39 +0200
To: public-xg-lld@w3.org
hi all,

I am hearing on the grapevine that it would be beneficial to add a few
words about "why" I2 should care about a HTTP, Linked Data approach.
There seems to be a lack of understanding of the possible value.

Cheers

Herbert

On Jul 30, 2010, at 1:30 PM, Emmanuelle Bermes wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 11:52 AM, William Waites
> <william.waites@okfn.org> wrote:
>> On 10-07-30 10:38, Jodi Schneider wrote:
>>> "The URI should be included in the final version of the metadata"
>>>
>>> Is it useful to make some reasons clear? i.e. to explain why it is
>>> "a
>>> valuable addition to the standard"? Or is that already clear to the
>>> NISO I2 working group?
>>
>> How about:
>>
>> "Dereferencing the URI with an HTTP request is the simplest and most
>> straightforward way to obtain a copy of the metadata"
>
> +1
>

>> On URI vs. URL, does it make sense at all to suggest the
>> registration of
>> a urn namespace with IANA? Or do non-dereferenceable URIs like that
>> just
>> muddy the waters?
>
> In a linked data perspective, I guess we should advocate strongly in
> favor of a dereferenceable URI approach.
>
> Emmanuelle
>

>> Cheers,
>> -w
>>
>> --
>> William Waites           <william.waites@okfn.org>
>> Mob: +44 789 798 9965    Open Knowledge Foundation
>> Fax: +44 131 464 4948                Edinburgh, UK
>>
>> RDF Indexing, Clustering and Inferencing in Python
>>                http://ordf.org/
>>

> --
> =====
> Emmanuelle Bermès - http://www.bnf.fr
> Manue - http://www.figoblog.org

==
Herbert Van de Sompel
Digital Library Research & Prototyping
Los Alamos National Laboratory, Research Library
http://public.lanl.gov/herbertv/
tel. +1 505 667 1267