Re: Institutional Identifier (I2) comments (was: RE: Institutional Identifier Re: [Digipres] NISO Seeking Feedback on ...)

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 11:52 AM, William Waites
<william.waites@okfn.org> wrote:
> On 10-07-30 10:38, Jodi Schneider wrote:
>> "The URI should be included in the final version of the metadata"
>>
>> Is it useful to make some reasons clear? i.e. to explain why it is "a
>> valuable addition to the standard"? Or is that already clear to the
>> NISO I2 working group?
>
> How about:
>
> "Dereferencing the URI with an HTTP request is the simplest and most
> straightforward way to obtain a copy of the metadata"

+1

> On URI vs. URL, does it make sense at all to suggest the registration of
> a urn namespace with IANA? Or do non-dereferenceable URIs like that just
> muddy the waters?

In a linked data perspective, I guess we should advocate strongly in
favor of a dereferenceable URI approach.

Emmanuelle

--
=====
Emmanuelle Bermès - http://www.bnf.fr