W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xg-lld@w3.org > July 2010

LLD XG 29 Jul 2010 Minutes

From: ZENG, MARCIA <mzeng@kent.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 16:47:58 -0400
To: "public-xg-lld@w3.org" <public-xg-lld@w3.org>
Message-ID: <C877613E.E4E4%mzeng@kent.edu>
Dear all,
With the great help of Antoine today's minutes is now available at:
 http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minutes.html

A text version follows.

Thanks everyone for contributing to the scribing.  For anyone who will perform scribing duty in the future, this document is really helpful: the LLD scribing guide that Antoine updated based on Tom's guide for the previous group he was chairing: http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/Scribing.html.

Cheers,
Marcia
-----------------------
LLD XG 29 Jul 2010 Minutes

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                LLD XG

29 Jul 2010

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Jul/0080.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2010/07/29-lld-irc

Attendees

   Present
          michaelp, GordonD, kcoyle, monica, kai, antoine, AlexanderH,
          edsu, jneubert, emma, marcia, jeff, ww, andras, b_vatant,
          fumi, matolat

   Regrets
          Tom, Ray, Ross, Dickson, Bernard, Wolfgang, Kim, Oreste,
          Jonathan, Martin, Glen, Jodi, Nicolas

   Chair
          Emmanuelle

   Scribe
          Marcia

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Administrative
         2. [6]Use cases and case studies
            http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCases
         3. [7]Topic list
            http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Topics
         4. [8]Upcoming topics
     * [9]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

   <emma> scribe : Marcia

   <emma> scribenick: marcia

Administrative

   <emma> Minutes of previous telecon :
   [10]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minu
   tes.html

     [10] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minutes.html

   emma: any objection?

   RESOLVED to accept minutes of previous meeting

   -- F2F meetings Pittsburgh 23 and 24 October, confirmed
   [11]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F

     [11] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F

   Confirmed

   emma: A joint meeting with DCMI Architecture Forum WG has been
   scheduled on Friday 22nd afternoon
   [12]http://www.asis.org/Conferences/DC2010/program-sessions.html#joi
   ntmeeting

     [12] http://www.asis.org/Conferences/DC2010/program-sessions.html#jointmeeting

   emma: Application Profiles for Linked Data: Models & Requirements

   no questions

   emma: Possible meeting jointly to SWBIB 2010 (Cologne, 29 and 30
   November) ? See Joachim's mail :
   [13]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Jul/0066.h
   tml "Semantic Web in Bibliotheken" = " Semantic Web in Libraries"
   [14]http://swib.org/swib10/e_call-for-participation.html

     [13] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Jul/0066.html
     [14] http://swib.org/swib10/e_call-for-participation.html

   emma: asking people to take the Doodle poll
   ...in addition to the f2f meeting in Pittsburgh
   ...see how many people would be interested
   ...then we will decide
   ...get details before the conference time, decide the day and time

   <kai> i will be there anyway, so +1 for the meeting

   jneubert: maybe part of the coming event,
   ...depends on who will be, either afternoon or evening

   <kcoyle> ++ beer and chitchat

   <edsu> beer+chitchat++

   <antoine> cool!

   <kai> +1 for the beer, but maybe we can do both :-)

   ww: October possible Berlin meeting

   <ww> [15]http://wikis.fu-berlin.de/display/fcrc/Home

     [15] http://wikis.fu-berlin.de/display/fcrc/Home

   <ww> The 3rd Free Culture Research Conference, 7-9 October in Berlin

   <emma> [16]http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/LLD/Events

     [16] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/LLD/Events

   emma: we have a wiki page for the events, please paste there.

   -- Summer teleconferences schedule 2010-08-19 - Tom 2010-08-26 -
   Antoine Weekly calls will resume in September.

   ACTION: antoine to check cross linking between the two wikis
   [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minu
   tes.html#action01] [DONE]

     [17] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minutes.html#action01

Use cases and case studies
[18]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCases

     [18] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCases

   Emma: open discussion

   ACTION: stu, alexander, kai and emma to suggest another version of
   the template. [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minu
   tes.html#action05]
   [20]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Jul/0047.h
   tml [DONE]

     [19] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minutes.html#action05
     [20] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Jul/0047.html

   kai: ask if there are any questions about the template, tried to
   popularize with data from use cases, tried to recognize weaknesses
   and adapt
   ...maybe have to rework some things, if not, start to collect use
   cases

   emma: any objection to using the template as such?

   kai: topic dimensions and topics to be discussed

   <gneher> i think, the templates are very good and will be very
   helpful. thanks to kai et al. !

   <GordonD> +1 let's get on with it

   <antoine> I was happy with the changes made after my comments!

   emma: maybe we can decide today

   [No objection]

   ACTION: Alexander, kai, emma to populate the template for use cases
   [recorded in
   [21]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minu
   tes.html#action03] ->
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Authority_Dat
   a_Enrichment ->
   [23]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Digital_Prese
   rvation [DONE]

     [21] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minutes.html#action03
     [22] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Authority_Data_Enrichment
     [23] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Digital_Preservation

   alexander: regarding authority, maybe populate a kind of general use
   case, find a specific use case, consider the enrichment of existing
   authority records
   ... background and technology not necessary
   ... try to pick out some limitations, as well as try to relay to
   other use cases

   <emma>

   ->
   [24]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Authority_Dat
   a_Enrichment ->
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Digital_Prese
   rvation

     [24] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Authority_Data_Enrichment
     [25] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Digital_Preservation

   emma: some feedback on use cases

   antoine: they seemed to be OK. I'd like to create one for myself

   <edsu> looks good to me

   Kai: wonder to find what kinds problem we have
   ...granularity of our user cases
   ...enrichment of user cases
   ...conclusion:
   easier to concentrate on very specific user cases,
   ...more difficult to have broader point of views
   ...hence added "related use cases" to connect together specific use
   cases
   ... with some common features

   <Zakim> antoine, you wanted to ask whether this is captured in the
   motivation part

   kai: to rethink what we did
   ... its better to focus on a very specific use case than on a broad
   scenario

   antoine: kai, please write one statement in rationale page

   <edsu> [26]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UCRationale

     [26] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UCRationale

   emma: decide how we are going to make more use case

   emma: Use cases at ALA meeting, June 2010 ->
   [27]http://kcoyle.net/lld-ala.html
   ...how to integrate these issues to the user cases
   ...anyone has information on this?

     [27] http://kcoyle.net/lld-ala.html

   ed: there were several groups and I participated in one
   ... we talked about Use Cases Discussion Group
   ...how data set are there now and be used, e.g., OCLC case
   ...what people are doing with the data, monitor what they do,
   ...it was only clear of where they were from but not what they do,
   ...that was the interesting part

   <kcoyle> not all of the discussions there would necessarily turn
   into use cases, but we can look at them to see what we could derive

   ed: OCLC has people involved
   ...Karen was there,
   ... discussion about RDFa, for making library data more accessable
   to Facebook, Google search, etc. Another interesting discussion

   <emma> Add ideas of use cases
   [28]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCaseNotes

     [28] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCaseNotes

   <monica> I wondered if this would make an interesting use case
   [29]http://efoundations.typepad.com/efoundations/2010/07/finding-ebo
   oks.html

     [29] http://efoundations.typepad.com/efoundations/2010/07/finding-ebooks.html

   <antoine> RDFa/Richsnippets/SEO ++

   emma: we need to decide: -- Choice between filling the use cases
   ourselves & sending out a call
   ... we don't have many volunteers

   <ww> couldn't we do both?

   <AlexanderH> first ourselve

   <antoine> ww+

   emma: yes, we could start with ourselves

   <GordonD> +1 ourselves

   <kai> +1 for ourselves for the already existing ideas for use cases

   -> Poll for volunteers:
   [30]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCases#Poll_for_volu
   nteers

     [30] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCases#Poll_for_volunteers

   <jeff> +1 ourselves

   <gneher> +1 ourselves

   <AlexanderH> see how many we get ourselves

   <edsu> +1 ourselves first

   <kai> =more examples = easier for others to follow with further use
   cases

   <michaelp> +1

   <monica> +1 start ourselves

   <Andras> +1

   <GordonD> timescale?

   emma: use the use case on the wiki

   <ww> +1 start ourselves, then solicit other suggestions

   <monica> would it be ok to work on use case with collaborators from
   outside the working group?

   emma: when the use cases are due

   <kai> @monica: i think so

   <GordonD> +1

   antoine: suggestion of volunteering to take the use cases, suggests
   limiting the number of volunteers...don't have more than two people
   on same use case
   ... that way they won't wonder if ten people are going to join

   jneubert: it makes sense to follow the example section...make it
   part of the cases section.
   ... link all the use cases in the section of the use case page

   [jneubert did it]

   <emma> [31]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCaseNotes

     [31] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCaseNotes

   antoine: deadline...

   emma: first get some use cases ourselves, September...

   antoine: not the next telecon but the one after is the deadline?

   <GordonD> +1 August for ourselves then September for others

   emma: or the next one

   <kcoyle> +1 august

   antoine: deadline august 26th
   ... better one day before the telecon

   <GordonD> this will allow feedback from ifla and possibly rda

   emma: august 25 deadline

   ACTION: everyone to create use cases on the "use case note" page
   [32]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCaseNotes . Not
   more than 2 persons per case. Deadline august 25. [recorded in
   [33]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minu
   tes.html#action04]

     [32] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCaseNotes

Topic list [34]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Topics

     [34] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Topics

   <edsu> topic topic :-)

   emma: ACTION: everyone to elaborate on topics in the wiki [recorded
   in
   [35]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minu
   tes.html#action08] Karen is editor of the topics. [CONTINUES]

     [35] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minutes.html#action08

   <GordonD> +1 to continue to develop topics

   emma: use cases should relate to the topics

   antoine: want to point to the discussion page on the topic page

   <antoine> [36]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Talk:Topics

     [36] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Talk:Topics

   emma: July about domain modling, FRBR... question about if the
   description relly relate to the
   ... on the mailing list there are discussions

   karen: not sure what point to make

   Jeff: lots of topics getting to certain concerns, small group carry
   on the discussions. need balance between small group and everyboday

   <antoine> I think raising general awareness on issues is good!

   emma: relate the discussion to the topics

   <b_vatant> wondering how the topics will be related to use cases

   karen: maybe we can base on the topic list, do not get into the
   details.
   ... initially need to remember to put them on the topic list

   <michaelp> If someone wants to take them on as a UC, they would then
   be there.

   emma: relate to the topic list,

   antoine: discussions, as long as on the community list, all are
   relavant
   ...one of the topics was on Open Library, certainly relevant

   <ww> the openbiblio mailing list is available for discussion of
   sausage

   Jeff: the case of Open Library protocal details etc. has some gaps
   with linked data

   <GordonD> suggest xg members take responsibility to manage public
   list topics - move offline with smaller group, add to topics, fold
   back to focus of lld - but not prevent discussion

   karen: some of the cases are not pure linked data, the case will be
   on how you want to move from what you got

   <antoine> +1

   karen: happy to use the Open Libraary as one of the use case

   <GordonD> +1 karen - linked data + how we get there - most of what
   i'm doing is the latter

   mpanzer: the discussions here touched the issue of how linked data
   relate to the SW
   ... how we release data silos , how to relate library standards like
   FRBR and FRSAD to the SW standards/linked data
   ...in addition to putting them on the topic list, but also need to
   have f-t-face meetings.

   emma: please try to raise some of these items for the agenda

Upcoming topics

   -- RDA To be discussed in august.

   IFLA

   <GordonD> add frbr, frad, frsad to upcoming topics

   <kcoyle> Gordon? :-)

   <edsu> kcoyle?

   <edsu> :-)

   emma: anyone is interested in preparing something about RDA?

   emma: we do not have today

   Gordon: Aug. will be difficult. Sept will be better

   emma: Gordon will put on something for discussion in Sept. agenda

   ACTION: Gordon will prepare something on RDA, FRBR etc. for
   discussion in Sept. agenda [recorded in
   [37]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minu
   tes.html#action06]

   -- Comments on the NISO Institutional Identifier (I2) Working Group
   (WG) midterm report ->
   [38]http://www.niso.org/workrooms/i2/midtermreport/

     [38] http://www.niso.org/workrooms/i2/midtermreport/

   marcia: I made a page at:
   [39]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/NISO-I2
   ... a summary of comments is available on that page
   ...Deadline is august 7

     [39] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/NISO-I2

   emma: everybody agrees on a collective comment (informal)?

   <ww> +1

   emma: any objection?
   ... anyone with comment please check marcia's page

   edsu: is it worthwhile mentioning RDF?

   marcia: it would be great. How to formulate?

   edsu: I will formulate a line on the wiki

   marcia: background discussion is on the Discussion page of the wiki
   page
   ... for example MARC
   ... people could check that aspect

   ACTION: marcia to send (informal) group's comment on I2 before the
   deadline for comments [recorded in
   [40]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minu
   tes.html#action05]

   <marcia> emma: any other business?

   emma: adjourned

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: everyone to create use cases on the "use case note"
   page [41]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCaseNotes .
   Not more than 2 persons per case. Deadline august 25. [recorded in
   [42]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minu
   tes.html#action04]
   [NEW] ACTION: marcia to send (informal) group's comment on I2 before
   the deadline for comments [recorded in
   [43]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minu
   teshttp://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minut
   eshttp://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minute
   s.html#action05]
   [NEW] ACTION: Gordon will prepare something on RDA, FRBR etc. for
   discussion in Sept. agenda [recorded in
   [44]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minu
   tes.html#action06]

     [41] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCaseNotes

   [PENDING] ACTION: everyone to elaborate on topics in the wiki
   [recorded in
   [45]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minu
   tes.html#action08]

     [45] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minutes.html#action08

   [DONE] ACTION: Alexander, kai, emma to populate the template for use
   cases [recorded in
   [46]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minu
   tes.html#action03] ->
   [47]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Authority_Dat
   a_Enrichment ->
   [48]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Digital_Prese
   rvation
   [DONE] ACTION: antoine to check cross linking between the two wikis
   [recorded in
   [49]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minu
   tes.html#action01]
   [DONE] ACTION: stu, alexander, kai and emma to suggest another
   version of the template. [recorded in
   [50]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minu
   tes.html#action05]
   [51]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Jul/0047.h
   tml

     [46] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minutes.html#action03
     [47] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Authority_Data_Enrichment
     [48] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Digital_Preservation
     [49] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minutes.html#action01
     [50] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minutes.html#action05
     [51] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Jul/0047.html

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [52]scribe.perl version 1.135
    ([53]CVS log)
    $Date: 2010/07/29 19:25:53 $

     [52] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [53] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Thursday, 29 July 2010 20:48:36 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 29 July 2010 20:48:37 GMT