RE: Open Library and RDF

Karen,

I hope the redirect behavior can be changed because this single issue is
the difference between Linked Data or not. The correctness and
completeness of the RDF is not a factor in this.

I only object to DC elements when I have to look at them. ;-)

I do hear what you're saying about frbrCore:creator and
FRBRer:isCreatorPersonOf, though. But... FRBRCore, FRBRer, and RDA's
FRBR are not "FRBR" despite the implicit branding. As you point out,
there are vast differences in connecting properties which makes it
mindboggling to believe these are all owl:sameAs "FRBR Work":

- FRBRCore:Work	http://purl.org/vocab/frbr/core#Work
- FRBRer:Work	http://iflastandards.info/ns/fr/frbr/frbrer/1001 (who's
idea was it to create ontology classes with opaque URIs?)
- RDAFRBR:Work	http://RDVocab.info/uri/schema/FRBRentitiesRDA/Work

I encourage you to believe that the word "Work" being used here is a
homonym and the discrete URIs are an attempt to point this out. I know
this is counter-intuitive and unpopular given all the owl:sameAs and
multiple rdf:types being bandied about, but give your brain some time to
believe that this is a simpler way to look at the problem.

As assistance, notice that in the FRBR specification "Work" relates to
Group 2 Entities by way of "is responsible for the creation of".
"Expression" relates by way of "is responsible for the realization of".
"Manifestation" relates by way of "is responsible for the Publication,
Distribution, Fabrication, or Manufacture of". "Item" relates by way of
"is the owner or custodian of". A UML class diagram is attached with
references to section numbers.

IMO, we shouldn't fret about salvaging a single coherent FRBR model from
this ontology mess. Each ontology needs to be treated as a separate
self-coherent model. In the case of FRBRCore, it was the intention of
the modeler to use frbrCore:creator as a substitute for the
high-resolution relationships in the FRBR spec. It's their model and
second guessing their modeling decisions isn't productive. LLD-XG
doesn't have time to create one giant brain for everyone to use. If we
want to represent our information with higher-resolution, we can use the
RDA or FRBRer models instead. Representing our information *at runtime*
in these and various other overlapping models is a feature, not a
problem.

I have a solution to offer regarding foaf:Person and frbr:Person, but it
requires your URIs to behave according to Linked Data r303gendocument
<http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/#r303gendocument> rather than r303uri
<http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/#r303uri>. Let me know if your guys can
support this alternative and I'll offer the suggestion.

Jeff