Fwd: [Digipres] NISO Seeking Feedback on Institutional Identifier Midterm Report -- responses needed by August 2

Hi all,

I thought it was worthwhile forwarding the below request for comments
from NISO regarding their ongoing Institutional Identifier effort.

I have only briefly glanced at the mid-term report, but I found no
indication that this work is informed by a Linked Data perspective.
Nor did I find immediate indications that it could not be implemented
in a way that aligns with Linked Data.

Most of the use cases listed in the report involve libraries and hence
seem relevant to this group.

Cheers

Herbert

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Cynthia Hodgson" <chodgson@niso.org>
> Date: July 12, 2010 4:28:11 PM CEDT
> To: "Cynthia Hodgson" <chodgson@niso.org>
> Subject: [Digipres] NISO Seeking Feedback on Institutional
> Identifier Midterm Report -- responses needed by August 2
>
> The NISO Institutional Identifier (I2) Working Group (WG) has
> released a
> midterm report:  http://www.niso.org/workrooms/i2/midtermreport/
>
> The NISO I2 WG is soliciting feedback on the report and guidance
> for  the
> next steps in developing this standard from individuals and groups
> involved
> in the digital information transactions.  Stakeholders include
> publishers/distributors, libraries, archives, museums,  licensing
> agencies,
> standards bodies, and service providers, such as library workflow
> management
> system vendors and copyright clearance  agencies. Anyone involved at
> any
> level in the distribution, licensing, sharing or management of
> information
> is invited to participate.
>
> Please read the information below and participate in the evaluation
> of our
> midterm work by reading the midterm release document and  answering
> a few
> questions about each development area.  You are the stakeholders for
> this
> information standard.  We must work to ensure  that it meets your
> needs, so
> your input is very valuable and  important to us.
>
> BACKGROUND:
> NISO established the  working group in 2008 to develop an
> institutional
> identifier (I2) to uniquely identify institutions engaged in the
> digital
> information workspace.  The goal of the I2 Working Group is to
> develop an
> institutional identifier that is globally unique, robust,
> interoperable,
> scalable and able to integrate smoothly with current digital
> information
> workflows.  The working group is currently at the midterm of its
> efforts
> and  hopes to complete its draft specification by December, 2010.
> Community
> input was requested through surveys and conferences to refine the
> objectives, create the metadata and identify scenarios of  need.  We
> are
> currently soliciting midterm review to provide confirmation of our
> work to
> date, course correction as needed and to  ensure that we have
> identified and
> are addressing all the issues surrounding this critical enabling
> standard.
>
>  THE PROBLEM SPACE:
> Obtaining, using, sharing, storing and managing  information often
> [...]

==
Herbert Van de Sompel
Digital Library Research & Prototyping
Los Alamos National Laboratory, Research Library
http://public.lanl.gov/herbertv/
tel. +1 505 667 1267