W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xg-lld@w3.org > July 2010

Minutes of 2010-07-08 LLD meeting

From: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 20:08:47 +0200
Message-ID: <4C36142F.2020502@few.vu.nl>
To: public-xg-lld <public-xg-lld@w3.org>
Hi everyone,

The minutes of our call today are at http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minutes.html

A text version follows.

Thanks again for your patience and help at the beginning of the call!

Cheers,

Antoine


====

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                         Library Linked Data XG

08 Jul 2010

    [2]Agenda

       [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Jul/0020.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2010/07/08-lld-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Monica, marcia, rsinger, digikim, kcoyle, fumi, ray, dlukose,
           oreste, GordonD, michaelp, stu, AlexanderH, Zakim, fsasaki,
           antoine, jeff_, Nico, emma, kai, edsu, ww, michaelP, jar

    Regrets
           Tom, Tod, Jodi, Wolfgang, Herbert, William, Martin, Guenther,
           Andras, Bernard

    Chair
           Antoine

    Scribe
           fsasaki

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Minutes of previous telecon
          2. [6]F2F meeting @Pittsburgh 23 and 24 October
          3. [7]Summer teleconferences schedule
          4. [8]community wiki
          5. [9]Use cases and case studies
          6. [10]Use cases at ALA meeting
          7. [11]Topic list
          8. [12]Other topics
      * [13]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________

    <antoine> I can't see LLD on the calendar
    [14]http://www.w3.org/Guide/1998/08/teleconference-calendar.html#s_4
    061

      [14] http://www.w3.org/Guide/1998/08/teleconference-calendar.html#s_4061

    <stu> i am not being admitted to the call with the code 55394

    <antoine> @ everyone: we're stuck because our call is not registered
    in the W3C calendar for some reason

    <antoine> ... we do not have zakim for the moment

    <antoine> ... as you probably experienced from not being able to
    connect

    <edsu> hmm, not able to call in to boston number: "staff code is not
    valid"?

    <rsinger> same here

    <stu> talking to the operator

    <stu> she did not find it registered..

    <stu> believed it was a one time only

    <antoine> ok we have stu trying to launch it via phone and felix
    having sent mail

    <antoine> let's wait five minutes

    <antoine> ... if we don't receive news then we cancel it

    <antoine> sorry everyone for this mess :-(

    <digikim> Q: How many Linked Data people are needed to fix a broken
    conference call? -- A: None. The Linked Data just works. :)

    <edsu> antoine: no worries

    <stu> :-)

    <dlukose> I was told by the operator to ring back in 3 minutes

    <marcia> the conference call is valid now. However when I called I
    was the only one.

    <amy> this is amy from W3C. the bridge should be working

    <amy> there was a problem with the scheduling, we'll try to sort it
    out later

    <antoine> thank amy!

    <amy> Felix! hi! great

    <stu> thank you!

    <amy> :)

    <amy> sure thing

    <digikim> I just called in, but how did I say its me?

    <scribe> scribe: fsasaki

Minutes of previous telecon

    [15]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Jun/0131.h
    tml

      [15] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Jun/0131.html

    Antoine: any objection to the minutes of last call?

    RESOLUTION: approved minutes from last call

F2F meeting @Pittsburgh 23 and 24 October

    [16]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F

      [16] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F

    Antoine: have this item to keep you informed, but nothing to report
    here

Summer teleconferences schedule

    Antoine: see agenda, as a reminder

Community wiki

    [17]http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/LLD

      [17] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/LLD

    antoine: idea of wiki is different from our group wiki
    ... a free space for any public contriubtion to the library linked
    data topic
    ... may also be completely outside the scope of the group
    ... meant as a means to invite people from outside the group to
    contribute
    ... any questions?
    ... there are two wikis: the group wiki, and the group wiki

    stu: could we have a link between the two wikis, explaining their
    relation?

    <jar> +1 cross-links

    antoine: yes

    <kai> +1

    <stu> (stu was asking for links between the two wikis with a brief
    explanation)

    ACTION: antoine to check cross linking between the two wikis
    [recorded in
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minu
    tes.html#action01]

Use cases and case studies

    <antoine>
    [19]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lld/2010Jun/0032.html

      [19] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lld/2010Jun/0032.html

    antoine: based on the template from the provenancy XG

    antoine: stu and others had an action to work on the template
    ... has been progress on that action

    ACTION: Stu takes the lead on understanding UC approach better (with
    help of Emmanuelle Jodi Bernard and Jeff) [recorded in
    [20]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/24-lld-minu
    tes.html#action05] [DONE]

      [20] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/24-lld-minutes.html#action05

    <antoine> [21]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Dimensions

      [21] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Dimensions

    stu: the assignment was not because of my conclusion of how to do
    use cases
    ... templates from the provenance gropu were quite useful
    ... also had other input on how to make the template
    ... this I think is a pretty good start of how to do that
    ... discussion of use case template

    antoine: about the dimensions (categories) in here: I see some very
    general dimensions here
    ... might be dangerous if we go too much into details
    ... we should not take too much time to work on the template

    stu: I will send a link to the group with my proposal, people can
    look at it and see what they think about it

    antoine: sure
    ... every material is welcome to discuss
    ... but we need to move that forward, we need to finalize something
    ... looking at your proposal, there was an overlap with the work
    from kai

    kai: looked at the dimensions, I now probably would start with them

    <emma> (I just commented that it is quite complementary, we can try
    to use the dimensions with Kai's template as is)

    <kcoyle> +1 do a few use cases to test out UC and dimensions

    <stu> kai +1 ...

    <antoine> +1

    <felix> +1

    <GordonD> +1

    <stu> important thing is for people to create use cases

    edsu: question about the dimensions
    ... I thought the dimensions were used to analyse the use cases
    which came in
    ... but it looks like it is something wider .. could someone
    clarify?

    antoine: I think that the dimensions are a guide for the use case
    provider to structure the UC

    kai: maybe we should find some not so specific dimensions and just
    refine them

    <stu> I think the dimensions are to stimulate, NOT limit, people's
    thinking on use cases

    <antoine> +1

    kai: it is ok to start with a broad set

    <emma> +1

    stu: I see that if we try to figure out the dimensions in detail,
    that may foster specific kinds of answer from the provider

    antoine: agree

    <AlexanderH> +1

    etsu: we don't want to prevent people from providing use cases just
    because the UC does not fit into the template

    <edsu> +1 for broad set of dimension examples

    <Nico> .aagg is me

    antoine: we should start to merge the templates, within one week,
    and start internal contributions
    ... e.g. Alexander filling that template
    ... for the next call we could make a final decision about the form
    of the template, and then send them to the wider community
    ... is that OK?

    <edsu> +1

    +1

    <emma> +1

    <GordonD> +1

    <Monica> +1

    <AlexanderH> +1

    <dlukose> +1

    <kai> +1

    <marcia> +1

    <stu> +1

    <rsinger> +1

    RESOLUTION: merge the template proposal within one week, start
    internal contributions, make a final decision about the form of the
    template until next call, and then send them to the wider community

    <oreste> +1 (but I have a conflicting meeting, I will send comments)

    <stu> +1

    <Nico> +1

    alexander: would be good to have a 2nd example. The 1st concentrated
    on VIAF

    antoine: good idea

    kai: sure, maybe some other people can help as well?

    emma: happy to contribute another example

    <edsu> i think folks at LC could probaby agree on populating one

    <kcoyle> +1

    kai: emma, alexander and I can make a small subgroup to work out
    examples

    antoine: good idea, so let's do that

    kai: happy to do that
    ACTION: Alexander, kai, emma to populate the template for use cases
    [recorded in
    [22]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minu
    tes.html#action03]

    antoine: and we drop the action from last call, which was for
    alexander only

    ACTION: Alexander to populate the template for VIAF UC
    [23]http://outgoing.typepad.com/outgoing/2009/09/viaf-as-linked-data
    .html [recorded in
    [24]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/24-lld-minu
    tes.html#action06] [DROPPED]

      [23] http://outgoing.typepad.com/outgoing/2009/09/viaf-as-linked-data.html
      [24] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/24-lld-minutes.html#action06

    <emma> OK for me

    ACTION: stu, alexander, kai and emma to suggest another version of
    the template. [recorded in
    [25]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minu
    tes.html#action05]

    <stu> ok for me

Use cases at ALA meeting

    antoine: keep that in our agenda, will discuss that during next call

Topic list

    ACTION: ALL: Edit the topics for our work at the wiki:
    [26]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Topics recorded in
    [27]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/03-lld-minu
    tes.html#action02] [CONTINUES]

      [26] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Topics
      [27] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/03-lld-minutes.html#action02

    antoine: action for everbody to contribute to the wiki is being
    continued

    ACTION: Antoine to ask Karen Coyle to start curating topics list.
    [recorded in
    [28]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/24-lld-minu
    tes.html#action08] [DONE]

      [28] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/24-lld-minutes.html#action08

    Karen: Antoine did a first pass and did a good job

    <antoine> [29]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Topics2

      [29] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Topics2

    <edsu> Karen's list:
    [30]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Topics3

      [30] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Topics3

    karen: topic list is in a way very suggestive

    <antoine> karen+1 for provoking discussions

    karen: idea was to have a set of categories which people can think
    about
    ... not sure how to do this, we may want to do this in mail
    ... if everybody starts editing that may be a bit messy
    ... we should first decide what our main topic areas are, and how to
    assign them
    ... there were many issues that may be hard to understand, e.g. how
    to manage linked data, how to apply linked data to the library world

    <edsu> kcoyle++ # i like these high level groups

    karen: and how to educate our community

    <jar> kcoyle, this (topic3) is really good work, thanks

    karen: where is the best place to make a discussion

    <emma> +1, Topic3 is really good

    karen: we need to agree on upper level categories first (before
    having everybody editing), after that people can add what they want

    antoine: so let's first have a discussion on the mailing list
    ... I am not touching the existing version, but we should dicuss the
    organization

    <stu> would it be helpful to assign an editor for this part of the
    Wiki who might consolidate the suggestions?

    antoine: both mail and other discussion is fine, we just need to do
    it

    karen: both fine with me

    edsu: what is the reason to write this document?

    karen: to have use cases, and guide the educational document which
    we are going to write

    antoine: from a practical point of view, we have seen this as a set
    of guidelines for the technical deliverable which we are going to
    produce

    edsu: looks very good to me

    antoine: yes

    stu: if somebody could mangage the structure, people could send
    suggestions to that person

    <edsu> i wonder if it's worth publishing it as a w3c draft?

    karen: happy to do that

    edsu: is it OK to write this up to become a W3C document, e.g. a
    NOTE

    antoine: for the moment we can keep it as wiki
    ... as soon as we are starting putting content into it, we can move
    gently to another workspace

    karen: many items were very concise

    <Monica> where is the appropriate place to expand on the topics?

    karen: would be good if these items would be extended

    antoine: should we have an "ACTION: everyone to elaborate on the
    topics in the wiki"?

    karen: which document should they edit?

    antoine: just send mails?

    karen: people can edit what they are responsible for, and I can ask
    questions

    antoine: if you are the official responsible person for the wiki
    page, you can organize that as you want

    ACTION: everyone to elaborate on topics in the wiki [recorded in
    [31]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minu
    tes.html#action08]

    RESOLUTION: karen to be the editor of the topic list

    ACTION: ALL: Edit the topics for our work at the wiki:
    [32]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Topics recorded in
    [33]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/03-lld-minu
    tes.html#action02] [DONE]

      [32] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Topics
      [33] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/03-lld-minutes.html#action02

    <kcoyle> should topics3 become topics?

Other topics

    antoine: just links to areas which are not so active at the moment

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: Alexander, kai, emma to populate the template for use
    cases [recorded in
    [34]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minu
    tes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: antoine to check cross linking between the two wikis
    [recorded in
    [35]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minu
    tes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: everyone to elaborate on topics in the wiki [recorded
    in
    [36]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minu
    tes.html#action08]
    [NEW] ACTION: stu, alexander, kai and emma to suggest another
    version of the template. [recorded in
    [37]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/08-lld-minu
    tes.html#action05]
    [DONE] ACTION: Stu takes the lead on understanding UC approach
    better (with help of Emmanuelle Jodi Bernard and Jeff) [recorded in
    [38]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/24-lld-minu
    tes.html#action05]
    [DONE] ACTION: ALL: Edit the topics for our work at the wiki:
    [39]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Topics recorded in
    [40]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/03-lld-minu
    tes.html#action02]
    [DONE] ACTION: Antoine to ask Karen Coyle to start curating topics
    list. [recorded in
    [41]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/24-lld-minu
    tes.html#action08]
    [DROPPED] ACTION: Alexander to populate the template for VIAF UC
    [42]http://outgoing.typepad.com/outgoing/2009/09/viaf-as-linked-data
    .html [recorded in
    [43]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/24-lld-minu
    tes.html#action06]

      [38] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/24-lld-minutes.html#action05
      [39] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Topics
      [40] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/03-lld-minutes.html#action02
      [41] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/24-lld-minutes.html#action08
      [42] http://outgoing.typepad.com/outgoing/2009/09/viaf-as-linked-data.html
      [43] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/24-lld-minutes.html#action06

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 8 July 2010 18:09:22 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 8 July 2010 18:09:23 GMT